What's it worth (Sorry!) and suggestions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

What's it worth (Sorry!) and suggestions

Post by Toby_HDi »

Right due to spiralling fuel costs even my HDi is getting to much to run, so I'm thinking of selling. Just wondering what it is worth:

X reg Xantia 2.0 HDI (110) SX
MOT til Feb and will have 6 months tax next week
No service history but goes superb.
Usual SX equipment, air con, steering controls, electric windows.
couple of superficial bits need doing but hasn't worried me. Might need spheres doing.
Any more info, ask :)

What am I likely to get for it?

Secondly, any suggestions as to a replacement. I am considering downsizing, possibly even getting a small petrol, don't want to go too small though. I'm looking for something thats economical, cheap to run (tax, insurance, spares etc), cheap to buy and comfortable on long runs. Any suggestions?

Cheers
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

To be honest I can't think of many bearable cars that do much better mpg than the Xantia HDi.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm looking for something thats economical, cheap to run (tax, insurance, spares etc), cheap to buy and comfortable on long runs. Any suggestions?
Another Xantia :?: :D

Ed. to fix quote
Last edited by myglaren on 27 Apr 2008, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You`re asking a lot of your next car. Can`t see what`s cheaper than 40 plus to the gallon of Hdi. Maybe a Lupo diesel. Yaris Diesel......not cheap though to buy. Any car is worth what someone will pay.........and it`s a buyers market.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

This was what I was thinking. I know for a fact my HDi will do 50mpg+ I just wondered if there was something else out there.

Is it really worth the hassle of buying a 1.9TD and using veg oil (or similar)?

Lupo and Yaris are too small, I am not the smallest of people lol. Like you say, too expensive to buy. I was just toying with the idea. Just thought maybe something in the lower tax band would be better.

And come on people give me suggestions :) Would £900 be asking too much?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

lexi wrote:........and it`s a buyers market.
Not sure it is at the moment Lexi. Diesels seem to be holding their value pretty well at the moment as people strive to go further on each litre.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm not sure if it's downsizing, but you can't go far wrong with a Berlingo. The 1.9 diesel will do 45 mpg, you've lots of space, they are comfortable and only group 4 or 5 insurance. I don't know for sure but I guess the 1.9 will take veg oil too. Multispaces tend to keep their prices fairly well but there are loads of 1.9 diesels about.

You are going to be pretty pushed to beat a HDi Xantia for cheapness. Newer diesels are all common rail too - so veg oil is out. For other HDi models look at the Xsara and Berlingo Multispace - you'll save sphere costs and get lower insurance rates but will have to spend more to get one. The old TDi engine is good on fuel, better I think than the HDi. But VW and Seat keep their prices - as do Skodas now. And I dont think you'll save much here.

Basically, if you still want a big car and good mpg you're stuck with a diesel. You can save money on:
  • getting a low insurance group;
    saving hydro suspension costs;
but it'll cost you money to change and if you want a lower tax bracket it'll either cost you more to get a newer diesel or cost you fuel charges if you get a newer petrol.

The only real way is to completely downsize your car. I had a tight spell some years back and ran a diesel AX for a couple of years - now that's cheap motoring!
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Personally I would just keep the Xantia. With veg oil at the prices its at now it doesn't really make sense to swap from an HDi to a XUD purely to run on veg. I used to get around 42-45 mpg from my XUD turbo Xantia, in comparison to 51-55 mpg from the HDi Xsara. The Xsara is slightly lighter than a Xantia, but not significantly.
Veg oil would have to get much cheaper to counteract that sort of reduction in mpg.

You will struggle to get better fuel consumption, and a better car generally than the Xantia HDi, without spending quite a bit more money.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with the 'keep it' lobby. If you have a car that is reliable and you know the history of, why risk buying another that you know nothing about and might end up costing you money. You certainly wont find a petrol vehicle of anything like that size and comfort that will even approach that sort of mpg. If I were to downsize from the XM, I would go for a a pre 2000 Citroen or Peugeot with an idi engine - much cheaper to repair and diy friendly.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Likewise... the HDi can get as good as 50mpg.
To be honest I can't think of many bearable cars that do much better mpg than the Xantia HDi.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I would hazard a guess that given recent hikes in Veggie price, the considerable added thirst of a 1.9TD would nullify any benefit...
This was what I was thinking. I know for a fact my HDi will do 50mpg+ I just wondered if there was something else out there.

Is it really worth the hassle of buying a 1.9TD and using veg oil (or similar)?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj