Rain water below rear seats - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

juraj

Rain water below rear seats - Xantia

Post by juraj »

Hi all

My xantia estate - ***** NO ***** SUNROOF - has got puddles of water under the rear seats! where could the leak be coming from?

bye all
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The membrane in the tailgate. See: Boot leak for example.

Well, known, and easily fixed - for a change :lol:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The tailgate has to be the first check. A common problem on estates.

The heavy plastic mambrane often comes adrift from the frame and allows water to run in and under the cargo area carpet to the rear seat pans. You'll most likely find the bottom of the ttailgate trim damp and signs of water damage on the rear of it when you remove it.

Remove the carpeted trim on the tailgate to get to it. It is only held on with a handful of Torx screws but do disconnect the ribbon cable embedded in the trim connecting the tailgate light clusters from the lamp units before removing the trim.

The membrane is fixed with mastic and similar stuff can be used to reseal it. B & Q gutter seal works pretty well.

Take an opportunity to lubricate your lock linkages whilst you're in there...

The good thing is that water ingress in a Xantia rarely causes rust :D

EDIT: Sorry Richard, I did not mean to say exactly the same as you :oops: We must have been typing at the same time :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
juraj

Post by juraj »

as usual

informative, fast, friendly replies, this forum is great

thanks all

j
juraj

Post by juraj »

just a follow up

so why does water get into the tailgate? sounds like they planned on seeing water there hence gluing a membrane to be the seal, why not build a tailgate which is waterproof on the outside? what about all the electrical components in there and the lock surely they would be better in a dry environment,

bye
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Water gets in around the rear wiper hole.There are drain holes on the bottom of the tail gate,but over time the membrain comes away.I had it twice on mine untill i cured it with caravan sealant mastic strip.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
leepasifull

Post by leepasifull »

I noticed another place it can come in on mine* is where the bundle of wires / washer pipe runs from the rear pillar to the tailgate.

The rubber shoe/extended grommit wasn't seated properly in the pillar along its top edge - letting water in. This then ran down the loom in the pillar, and popped out just at the trailing edge of the rear side window.

I presume on other cars this might go a bit further and cause water under the seats as well.

Mines an estate, so might not be the same for a hatchback version.

* - as I stood in the driving rain fixing the boot catch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I guess the tendency for the tailgate to leak around its various orifices was the reason it was made of plastic. At least it won't rust :lol: :lol:

Good point on the cable boots leepasifull :D You'd be surprised how often the wires break in those as well. Citroen were a little mean with wire lengths when assembling the tailgate :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...