night sky

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

night sky

Post by shaunthesheep »

not really a car topic, but is interesting going on all the stuff in the news about light pollution.http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... sp_big.jpg
shame that it three years old
dom
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Thanks for that! What a great photo.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

For anyone that likes staring up into the night sky, this link is to the nassa web site where you can leave your details and recieve free emails of your chosen satelite passes, including the space station and the shuttle when its up there.
http://science.nasa.gov/RealTime/JPass/PassGenerator/
Dave
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

For anyone that likes staring up into the night sky, this link is to the nassa web site where you can leave your details and recieve free emails of your chosen satelite passes, including the space station and the shuttle when its up there. http://science.nasa.gov/RealTime/JPass/ ... rator/Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">This is great Dave thanks. The only thing is, it doesn't cover the UK area that well. The site would be better allowing us to input Longitude & Latitude of domicile. I'm sure some things that can be seen in London aren't visible to the Birmingham citizens or those of Manchester and Newcastle for instance. Great idea though </font id="size2">
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Talking about light pollution, as the mornings are now quite dark how about all the D**k heads who drive around with their front fog lights on when it's not foggy. IT'NOT BIG AND IT'S NOT CLEVER. Out here in the country side in Worcestershire you can be driving down some dark lane then up your arse comes some t**t with all the front lights on like its that dark!!!!
The best is when it's not even dark and they have the front fogs on???? Don't these people Know that they'er dazzeling other road users and also they can be pulled by local old bill and fined for a breach of the road traffic act for using their lights in an inproper manner. (no I'm not making it up just ask your friendly traffic cop)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

After entering your e-mail address on the J-Pass page, select more options on the next page, this will allow you to put in your longitude and latitude coordinates, it also allows for daylight saving settings.
I've been recieving these mails for about two years now and when they say your chosen satelite is coming over, it does, providing the sky is clear and dark enough you will see it.
The space station reflects the sunlight extremely well which you'd expect, a satelite called starshine was put into orbit as part of an experiment for school children about a year ago, it was remarkable in that it was only 19 inches in diameter yet when it went over the reflected light from it was just incredible to say it was only that size, it had IIRC 25,000 tiny mirrors stuck to it by the school kids.
In the reports you get the angle above the horizon and the direction the objects come from and their path accross the sky until out of sight, plus the length of time it will remain visible among others.
Dave