How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

Post by CitroJim »

I have finally done it, thanks to the cold weather, and produced a guide to stripping a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump as fitted to many a Xantia 1.9TD. Earlier pumps without the electronic bits are very similar, as are non-turbo Bosch pumps.

The strip is what you would have to do in order to replace the seals most likely to leak. I do not recommend dismantling a pump of this nature any further lest the calibration of the thing be upset.

This is not an easy job at all and must be undertaken with extreme care and caution. In BoL-speak, a real 5 spanner job.

This was a scrap pump that had sprang a massive leak after running very high ratios of vegetable oil for an extended period. I've had it in bits before and for the past 6 months or so it has been been soaking in vegetable oil to enable some rough assessment to be made of any adverse effect the oil may have on the pump seals.

I found the seals had hardened quite considerably since my first and latest disassembly of this pump. I therefore believe (personal view only) that running high veg ratios is ultimately detrimental to the pump seals.

Here is the guide. It's on a slow link and the pictures may take a few moments to load...

http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump1.htm
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I like your guides! A pictures speaks a thousand words, glad to see full use of pictures.

It looks like quite a complex piece of kit to take apart and put back together. Agreed, it seems 5 spanners job.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Re: How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

Post by XantiaMan »

citrojim wrote:
I found the seals had hardened quite considerably since my first and latest disassembly of this pump. I therefore believe (personal view only) that running high veg ratios is ultimately detrimental to the pump seals.

http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump1.htm
I hold the same belief especially if the seals are over 10 years old as they harden and shrink anyway. The seal on my pump that weeps is this one =

Excellent guide BTW Jim, maybe one day mine can have some new seals (around cambelt time!)

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Nice one Jim though it looks like you can still can go further. Is that all the dismantling needed to replace the seals? The armour removal seems like a real PITA though.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

Post by MikeT »

XantiaMan583 wrote:I hold the same belief especially if the seals are over 10 years old as they harden and shrink anyway. The seal on my pump that weeps is this one...
Is that failed seal around the back? If so, it may be the same with mine. When I began using SVO in high concentrations I mixed in some unleaded and that's when the leak showed. It's just weeping, the odd drip rather than a flowing leak. I agree with you about them needing changing after 10 years, maybe a manufacturers recommendation too?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If it is only the rear timing device cover seal leaking Gareth then that is easy in that the armour can stay in place but not so easy in that the pump still has to come off to change it :twisted:

Having said that though, if you do it at cambelt change time, it's not so difficult as three parts of what you have to do to get the pump off is already done :D

Mike, you're right. getting teh armour off is a PITA and a half :D I guess Bosch agents must have a better way but extensive searches (understandably) have not uncoverd it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Well done Jim...Good clear pictures.

I had the main shaft seal split, and could not remove it without dismantling the whole pump.

May be there is a special puller for this task.

It required making up a box spanner from metal electrical conduit, welding 3 blobs on the inside, and filing to make a smug fit on the 3 sided heads on the pivot bolts.

Has anyone changed this seal without a pump dismantle?...
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
deian

Post by deian »

How much hassle is it to remove and re-attach the pump?

I'm under the impression that the pump may need to be timed to the timing belt etc

Can anyone shed some light? Just a quick answer would do while we are on the subject.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dei,

It's not a bad job to remove the pump. No need to touch the cambelt. In brief:

1. Slip off the front timing cover, bring the engine to time and pop in two timing bolts into the pump sprocket.

2. Undo the sprocket nut.

3. Scribe a line across the pump body to the pump carrier bracket so that it can go back on exactly where it came from.

4. Disconnet electrics, throttle and fast idle cables and all pipes from the pump. Remove completely the pipes from the pump to injectors, sealing both ends of the pipes, the injectors and pump outlets to prevent dirt ingress. Seal all other orifices.

5. Remove the three pump mounting nuts and washers. The bottom one is tricky and you need a "Lazy C" shaped 13mm ring to get at it. Remove the rear mounting nut and washer.

6. Tease the pump out, taking care to recover the driveshaft woodruff key and not to "loose" it down behind the cambelt tensioner. Stiff a load of rag down there to prevent it falling too far.

7. Reinstallation is a reverse of disassembly noting that the mounting nuts and washers MUST be done up very tightly. The wasers MUST be replaced. If not, they'll shackle loose. The woodruff key can be held with a dab of grease to ensure it does not slip out whlist getting the pump sprocket back on.
G4EIY wrote:I had the main shaft seal split, and could not remove it without dismantling the whole pump.
I'll have a look into this next time I'm playing pumps and report back...
Jim

Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Well done Jim, very informative. I just have to pluck up the courage and go for it, some time in the not too distant future. :wink:
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
deian

Post by deian »

Thanks for that, i might have to do it one day, probably not though. veggie oil is 78p litre in lidl.
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

My main reason for doing this is for the MOT. I am assuming that if your vehicle leaks fuel of any description it will fail the MOT.

And on the other hand, my other mode of transport is a classic bike and fuel/oil on the road can lead to disaster.

Therefore IMHO, I think I have a responsibility to stop any oil/fuel leaks.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you really want some 3-D jigsaw action....

Bosch jigsaw

:lol: :shock:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That is a seriously useful and interesting link Richard...

I think I shall try doing that with mine!
Jim

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

where to get seals

Post by kevino »

Hi Jim,
I have the same pump and it is like a seive could you tell me where to get a set of seals so that i can repair my own pump?

cheers kev