Glow plugs on the blink?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Glow plugs on the blink?

Post by XantiaMan »

Past couple of mornings my Xantia has still started great, but misses for about 10 seconds unless you add a little revage, its then normal. On some mornings it still starts well? I'm thinking a glow plug or two is starting to die and intermittantly works?

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nope -

Glowplugs are not on the blinks. They suddenly go blinks off - forever.

You can do a simple test that will determine for sure if the plugs are working or not.
Each plug has (must have) an ohmic resistance of 0,8 ohms - which in practical terms is a shortcircuit. It will read slightly more on an ohmmeter - due to the ohm meter probe-cabling resistance : some 0,9-1,0 ohms.

You may also test the plugs by letting each plug provide the earth path for a headlamp bulb. The bulb should light up bright and clear.

These checks requires you to remove the plug power cable, such that each plug is tested individually. The number 4 plug under the pump can be tested leaving the power distributor cable on as an extender for that plug only. Saves you the hassle of removing the cable and reaching the tip on that plug ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Gareth, how's the babe?

This, as Anders says, is not glowplugs. It'll be air in the system. My old 1.9TD does the same and really it needs new leakoffs but if, as you do, and keep the revs up it's fine.

I'd go through all the usual suspects for air leaks. Swap your leakoff hoses as a matter of course and replace with good tight-fitting ones. I've noticed with halfrauds ones that they don't fit the injectors very tightly and can leak a bit as a result.

Then see if the priming bulb has a guilty look about it and finally the fuel filter housing.

Air is the problem :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Interesting one. i'll try priming the bulb before i start this morning, see if it makes any difference. Its always been a great cold starter, less so when really hot weather which i suspect are the leak off pipes.

Might aswell as glowplugs and leak offs to the list when you come over Jim :wink:

Jack is doing great he is letting us sleep in 4 hour stretches and would go longer but we have to wake him up and feed him.

Has your back recovered from the gearbox fitting? Drop me a PM and let me know when you are free next!

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Just been out and started it, as per above post it starts immediately but misses for about 5-10 seconds until i rev it a little, then it settles down and its fine. Still going with a glow plug thats died, i can only see a record of them being changed about 6 years ago and many miles have been done since then!

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Managed to finally get to GSF today and picked up some genuine leak off pipe, a bit fiddly to do but got there in the end, i would have said they were the original pipes as they were very hard and brittle, had 97 on them too which i assume is the date.

Remains to be seen if it cures the lumpy idle, it still starts great in the mornings with no hesitation, just the idle is iffy until you rev it a little.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Result? No change!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Lumpy Idle

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi Gareth,

I had exactly the same problem and I cured it by removing the top of the fuel filter lifting out the filter and using a half used roll of kitchen towel to soak up the fuel its a neat trick and less messy as using anything else.

I replaced the filter and topped up the rest of the chamber with comma diesel injecta cleaner, close the lid and start the car it and give it a rev it will blow nasty black soot out of the exaust for a moment but it will sure clean those injectors and hopefully it will cure your lumpy idle problem.

I do this twice a year once before MOT time and again before the colder nights draw in forget putting treatments in the tank waste of time they need to go straight through the injectors as neat as possiable.
I hope this works for you.

The other thing i was going to mention was that the computer keeps the heaters running for 5 mins after you start the engine as soon as you touch the throttle they turn off so i don't understand why reving the engine makes it better unless your injectors are semi blocked.

Regards Nigel.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

If it's any consolation, I get the same symptoms and had new glow plugs, leakoff pipes and filters changed last year. I suspect the injectors, but prefer to blame the veg oil :lol:

Nigel might have the solution though, neat cleaner in the filter housing! I'll have to try that.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Seems i may have found the problem by accident!

The seal from the front of the pump is leaking, behind the immobiliser shield. It only leaked when i primed the bulb about 30 times, 15 times it was ok, then i tried it a minute later and noticed the priming bulb had lost pressure, so pressed it again and noticed the leak.

So it appears air is being drawn into the pump in the lines just before the outlet. The leak stopped once i had topped up with diesel and let it settle down.

Note to self, do not use unleaded and acetone mix! Together with the veg oil which i think makes the seals go hard, this is what has caused my other leak problem but it goes when run on diesel. Definatly starts better on diesel and i guess when it starts perfectly, the seals will have self-healed again!

Bit of a shame but with veg going up in price, i will be reducing the mix to no more than 30-40%, the tax man will be offsetting all the mileage i do for work anyway!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7