405 Mi16 starting probs..... fuel pump?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KRISKARRERA
My Cars:

405 Mi16 starting probs..... fuel pump?

Post by KRISKARRERA »

I have a 405 1.9 Mi16 and it's got a starting problem.
Doesn't matter if the engines hot or cold, if I turn the engine off and restart it within about 10 to 15 minutes it fires up immediately. But any longer and it'll crank for a good 5-10 seconds before jumping into life. I'm thinking the fuel pump has seen better days, or maybe the non-return valve is no longer doing it's job?
Anyway I might try a second hand pump first seeing as new ones arent cheap. Does anyone know if any other cars use the same fuel pump as the Mi16?
Cheers.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

Kris
I seem to remember that a BX GTi or 16V use the same pump, if yours is a Bosch drop a line and I'll check as this same pump is also used on many BMW's. Should be a Bosch number on the old pump.
KRISKARRERA
My Cars:

Post by KRISKARRERA »

Cheers Jon.
Trouble is mate I'm not so sure if it is the fuel pump and here's why: I started tinkering with the butterfly valves in the throttlebody and also the throttle position switch. Totally messed it up! I've finally got the idle rpm back to where it should be but alas the TPS "click" needs a bit more adjustment. Anyway after all this the engine is starting up quicker. I'll keep any eye on it though knowing how unpredictable these engines can be[:o)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Let us know
You still got the old 309 Mi16??
KRISKARRERA
My Cars:

Post by KRISKARRERA »

Nah I sold that on. It needed so much doing to it in terms of suspension and steering, plus it was only giving out 147 bhp. I bought my 405 off of a friend on the 205GTIdrivers forum and he'd rebuilt the engine and replaced so many bits that I just had to have it.