Clutch-Gearbox Problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

Clutch-Gearbox Problems

Post by StuartR »

205 1.8D 92J 125K miles
I think the clutch is going on my 205 diesel,
there's a juddering when making slow manoeuvres.
Also when the car is on the move the clutch thuds down quite abit when changing gear, as if you just took your foot straight off the pedal, so you have to be very slow off pedal.
Also the gear selection is sloppy (loose and wobbly gear stick) and every now and then its hard to get into a gear (going down to 1st is one I remember but it could be other gears) Is this a gearbox problem as well as its best to see to that at the same time as the clutch. Could the clutch cable be a problem if its sticking.
No history of clutch or gearbox changes so possibly origonal.
Won't be doing the work myself but realy would like to know myself what to expect and make sure the right thing is done.
(Just a note with the clutch up or down there isn't much difference in the sound coming from the gearbox, no grinding or clunking just a bit more low rumble sound)
Any ideas? not very easy to drive !
----
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Stuart, if the clutch is not dissengaging completely it will be a toad to get into reverse without crunching, my old 205GLD went like this and I had to stick it in 2nd to stop the clutch revolving and then quickly into reverse before it started to turn again, it also suffered from quite bad juddering at times, and if I wanted to get down into 2nd or 1st while moving it had to be double de-clutched.
This started after only about 30,000 miles from new, I put up with it untill 150,000 miles, then I had no choice but to change it.
It suddenly got very difficult to engage any gears, I did'nt know until later that the release bearing was wearing it's way through the fingers on the diaphragm spring and was bending them, I adjusted the cable but it only gave me three or four more day's before the bearing went all the way through the fingers.
After I put the new one in it was a pleasure to drive again, no juddering and all gears easily selected, I think all your problem's will be solved with a new clutch and release bearing.
Something that struck me as being remarkable was holding the new and old plates side by side, I had a job to tell that anything had gone off the old plate after 150,000 miles, not being one of those drivers that sit on the clutch at light's and so forth, always taking it out of gear, that's probably why it wore out in that way :o)
Good luck
Dave
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Thanks Dave, you deserve a medal for services to this forum or at least a discount !!
I'm getting a bit more used to the dodgy clutch now (driving other car before) so I'll live with it for a bit. The main worries were that it could go without any real warning or that the friction plate could be gone and grinding the flywheel or something like that which could be causing expensive damage.
Just out of interest is the clutch and bearing replacement a job possible by a bit of a novice, me, or to risky (no clutch, tow away!)
The bearings are not included with the Valeo clutch kit I think and no peugeot ones in GSF catalogue, would BX diesel one do?
----
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hehehe got no use for a medal Stuart, like the sound of that discount idea though :o)
Back to reality, the Valeo clutch that I got from the local main dealer six or seven years ago was a three piece kit, driven plate, pressure plate and release bearing, I would find out about the contents of the Valeo kit's from andyspares.
When your clutch is on it's last legs, it will take up drive in the last couple of centimeters of upward pedal travel, if left for much longer, the rivet's holding the friction material to the driven plate will begin contacting the flywheel, pressure plate or both.
At this point the clutch will begin to slip and the rivet's will start to wear a groove into the flywheel, though unwelcomed it's not the catastrophic damage you speak of, and will bearly affect the operation of a replacement clutch.
I think doing it yourself would be a rewarding experience, if you have a good tool kit and mechanical inkling you are almost there.
Fortunately the 205 is not a complicated car, the most awkward part of the operation is supporting the flywheel end of the engine while the gearbox is removed, it's not safe to merely put a jack under the sump, if it falls off you may get your hand trapped, and even if you can avoid that there will be damage caused elsewhere, you can put money on it.
I made an engine support bar that sits in the rain channels on the wing's, this takes the weight of the engine and also the gearbox as it is withdrawn, I also use it for engine support when changing timing belt's, would'nt be without it.
If you have access to machinery and welding tackle it's easey to make, send you a pic. of it if you want.
Good luck
Dave
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Thanks Dave it was the bolts grinding the flywheel that I'd been thinking of, sure its not at that stage now though. Cheers for the info about support I have seen them advertised I think Pug recommend that type but haven't got the tools to make one.
I think I'll just wait abit and get some one else to change the clutch (brother has possible 'discounted' contact, just hope the quality of work's not discounted too!)
----