Latest Which? Report

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Latest Which? Report

Post by Jon »

According to that august journal, the Sun ! these are the cars that people who own them would or would not recommend to their friends from the results of the latest Which? survey:
MOST RECOMMENDED: BMW X5, Toyota Yaris Verso, Skoda Octavia, Mazda MX-5, Audi TT, Jaguar S-Type, Lexus IS200, Mini, Toyota Yaris, Skoda Fabia.
LEAST RECOMMENDED: Citroen Saxo, Citroen Xsara, Peugeot 106, Rover 25, Rover 45, Mitsubishi Carisma, Fiat Punto, Vauxhall Omega, Land Rover Freelander, Ford Galaxy.
[:0]
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003450980,00.html
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....LEAST RECOMMENDED: Citroen Saxo, Citroen Xsara, Peugeot 106, Rover 25, Rover 45, Mitsubishi Carisma, Fiat Punto, Vauxhall Omega, Land Rover Freelander, Ford Galaxy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">This seems to happen every year, but I reckon it has more to do with servicing than anything else and that sharp intake of breath each independent must convey [}:)] every time a Cit is mentioned. I've had some niggles with my Xantia over the years, but it's been all cosmetic. Aside for these, it's been really reliable(touch wood [8)])</font id="size2">
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

and you have to wonder how the saxo and to a lesser degree, the 106 and punto are so popular amongst small car buyers if they are apparently so bad. my zx has its issues but then it was 9 years old when i got it and 85k and who knows what life it had up till then. Its cambelt hadnt been done so it cant have been too looked after although it was fsh till 70k
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Got the actual "Which Car Report" in the post today. The only Citroën they thought was "worth considering" was the one Xsara Picasso. As for the rest, reliability is considered below par, security useless and "owner's verdicts" generally indifferent whilst depreciation is always either high or very high WHICH IS GREAT FOR US
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Yeah, I have to agree with kafkian, dont tell anyone how good our cars can be if properly looked after, or we will start having to pay what they are really worth!! Which? used to annoy me with their constant knocking of cits but one day it dawned on me that they actually helped to reduce my motoring costs, not perhaps in a way that they intended but I would say as a long time subscriber to Which that it's possibly the only area that they have ever saved me significant amounts of money ;-))
The other odd thing about both Which? and the JD Powers surveys, is that the most popular cars by volume of sales are nearly always rated poorly for reliability, breakdowns, depreciation etc... statistical bias because of the large numbers of people owning these cars or a demonstration of the lemming like quality of some buyers?, in the IT industry there used to be a saying "no one got fired for buying IBM" perhaps the same is true of Ford, Vauxhall et al inspite of their problems

pete
________
NEW MEXICO DISPENSARIES
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It would be interesting to chat with some of the owners who are interviewed and claim to be dissatisfied with their various cars. It would not surprise me if most of the grumbles involved the servicing bays. Also I wonder how much research they did on their chosen vehicle before they went out and bought.
Reading in the Autocar, about the diesel BMW that they have on longterm test, it went in at 12K miles for an oil and filter change. Cost - £128. At 24K it had oil & filter and pollen filter. Another £218. If I were looking at bills like that, The Beemer would be in the least recommended list.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Customer dissatisfaction is always going to be a problem when you sell your products by heavy discounting as Citroen always have. How many people will make an informed choice when they have the prices blared at them all day on their radios. All thats important is that its new and they often end up buying models that many people wouldn't touch - and probably not really suitable for what they use it for.
Now I see Ford are going back to the past with the new fiesta advert - 'the car wants to show what its made of' - last Ford to do this was the Mk 11 Cortina that peeled its expensive Silver Fox paintwork before its proud owners eyes in about 3 months. to further quote - 'Engineered at last' - I wonder.
jeremy
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hey Jeremy
You've given me an early morning chuckle there! My parents owned a Mk2 Cortina 1600 Super in Silver Fox, the paint flaked off the roof so Dad had a vinyl roof put on. Then the paint rapidly departed the bonnet and the tops of the front wings. Cursing the thing he sold it eventually with "needs respray" in the advert.He got the new MK3 Cortina after that, and that was crap as well.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Interestingly (but not surprisingly), Xantia's suspension comes out on top in the Which? report along with rear passenger space. Worst comes heating and ventilation (this can be niggley but it doesn't deserve a wa waaah) and loading/storage in a hatchback (Ugh). Below average comes: Appearance and design (what!), Driving Experience (Ugh),and Instrument Layout (Really?). Where do thay get this stuff from?