peugeot 405 1992 gri

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aitch
My Cars:

peugeot 405 1992 gri

Post by aitch »

Does anyone have an idea on a couple of faults on my 1992 405 1900 GRi
1.. the oil is contaminated with a light brown frothy substance[not guiness]
2.. there is a slight spray of oil on the ht leads and bulkhead [oil dipstick seal is perished]??
i am pretty sure its not the cylinder head gasket but do suspect the engine oil breather pipes which once cleaned out sort the problem for a few hundred miles..
any comments would be appreciated
aitch
DavidG
My Cars:

Post by DavidG »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Does anyone have an idea on a couple of faults on my 1992 405 1900 GRi
1.. the oil is contaminated with a light brown frothy substance[not guiness]
2.. there is a slight spray of oil on the ht leads and bulkhead [oil dipstick seal is perished]??
i am pretty sure its not the cylinder head gasket but do suspect the engine oil breather pipes which once cleaned out sort the problem for a few hundred miles..
any comments would be appreciated
aitch

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
jloner2
My Cars:

Post by jloner2 »

MATE it is guinness not guiness, but any how
yes suldgey oil means over heating at some stage. i will be honest with you here peugeot
engines (petrol) back around 1990 are only dirt. liners sitting in water and only the gasget holding them in place. so there would be some contamination on water in the oil. i had a 1.6 405 and it was this way and i done the gasget myself. it is something you will have to live with...mail me with any problems.......................
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Suggest you go to "Common problems & Solutions" on this forum & there you will find a write up on "Mayonnaise in the Engine".
By the sounds of it, that is what you have got. P.S. Don't try any on a salad :)
Alans
puc
My Cars:

Post by puc »

mayo around the cooler parts of these engines is common especially in the oil filler cap and breather pipes. I think if you do short journeys, the problem is worse. This is due to condensation.
You'll need a new dipstick to stop the oil spray. These engines have a positive pressure in the crankcase and if the dipstick is not sealed, you can lose ALL yor oil. (happened to me in a BX16 with no lasting effects)