Idle Hands

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Idle Hands

Post by Ross »

Sitting here a little bored - the Xantia is running like a clock for five minutes and the Pug no longer sounds like a bucket of spanners

so................................

Anyone fitted a turbo to a 1.5 diesel Pug ?

There must be some advantages surely

otherwise its decorate the living room - lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know what you mean Ross. I'm in a similar position, the Xantias and the GTi are running like clocks and i'm at rather a loose end car-wise until a new clutch arrives for the 205D :) It's been on it's last legs for a looong time and recently has been more of a switch than a clutch.

Back on topic, no, I've not heard of a turbo conversion on a 1.5D but I question why really, being well used to the old 205D which, whilst I admit does not enjoy the same scintillating performance of a 205TD, is quite adequate and is very, very miserly on fuel, Qualities I guess your 105 has in much the same order.

Converting a D to a TD is nowhere as simple as strapping on a turbo. There are a lot of things to consider and taking the XUD non-turbo and turbo variants as an example, the following are different:

1. Injection pump. A Turbo pump needs to be able to "sense" boost pressure to supply the correct amount of fuel under boost conditions.

2. Compression ratio. It is significantly lower in a Turbo Diesel.

3. Pistons. They have to be made of tougher stuff in a Turbo and are of a different compression height to reduce the compression ratio.

4. Camshaft. A Turbo camshaft is milder than an N/A diesel one.

5. Cooling. The Turbo XUD has oil jets to cool the pistons.

Even the glowplugs are a little different. Turbo Diesels usually employ post-heating to keep the glowplugs going for a while after an initial start to help initial running and reduce emissions. In fact a turbo diesel, due to the lower compression ratio, is harder to start from cold than a NA diesel.

That is in addition to fabricating a new exhaust manifold to take the turbo!

So, unless PSA ever made a Turbo TUD it's something of a non-starter unfortunately Ross. You'd be better doing a Turbo XUD engine transplant and that has been done. I once sold the remains of a 205STDT for such a project 8)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Mmmmmm !!! - that sounds interesting CJ as I happen to have a spare Xantia vsx 1.9TD sitting around - as spares.
Is there a thread on here or do you have any info/details particularly degree of gifficulty

Its alsmost worth buying another diesel pug off ebay for a project
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ross,

It is possible as I've seen reference to it being done over on the 205 forum. It is a biggy though as the 106 was never designed to take the XU engine in production. However the later 205 was designed to take either the TU or XU and thus the swap was easy as they enjoyed common engine mounts.

So working on the premise that the TU to XU swap was easy in a 205 it should work the other way around.

Basically, you're going to need engine and gearbox and you'll most likely need to play around with engine mounts and exhaust arrangements. As the TU uses the MA gearbox and the XU the BE, you'll also need to rearrange the gear linkages and investigate driveshaft compatibility.

I reckon you may need a diesel 205 as a donor for a few bits and I'd not try it with your present 106. As you say, best to get hold of another with a blown engine as a (very interesting) project.

Just imagine a 1.9TD powered 106 though. :P 8) It'll be awesome!

The old 1.7TD 205 STDT was nearly frightening and was actually quicker overall than a 205GTi :wink: It went like a scalded cat.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

CJ - this has got to be worth further investigation - if only as you have stirred up the corner of my mind hidden behind the bit saying "Dont do it" lol

Definitely going to start thinkimg this one through

thanks m8
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

A mate of mine dropped the 1.9dt from a 306 staight into his 205.

It was certainly quick enough and had a few folk fooled as it was also dressed as a 1.9GTI.
Until he started it and it souded like a tractor.

The swap was seemingly very easy (for a given value of easy).
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

I do recall there used to be a number of companies doing turbo conversions on the old TUD3 motors 1360cc, it used to make the AX quite a shifter! so... it would not be out of the question on 106.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

504GLD wrote:I do recall there used to be a number of companies doing turbo conversions on the old TUD3 motors 1360cc, it used to make the AX quite a shifter! so... it would not be out of the question on 106.
:shock: How were they reliability-wise after the conversion? I'm led to believe they were none to good in the head gasket department anyway. Was the TUD3 the alloy blocked one with wet liners like the XU5/9 JA series?

What level of boost did the conversions run?

A TD AX must have been a hoot :lol: :lol:
Jim

504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

It was some time ago I have to say, I used to read Diesel Car Magazine when it was writen by real people and not the current drivel after it was bought out by the big publishing company... anyway I recycled all the copies between moving houses once and so dont have the references.