205xs TU3Scarb problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

macaroni
My Cars:

205xs TU3Scarb problem

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
my 205xs TU3S engine has a problem that I think is down to the carb. It idles fine, but sputters and almost dies on anything but full throttle ie when the 2nd choke comes in.
I have stripped and rebuilt the carb replacing all the gaskets and diaphragms to no avail.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
Any help gratefully received.
Antony
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Did you clean the carb when you had it apart. Not a normal bog standard clean, a REAL clean out, using compressed air through all the channels and jets followed by carb cleaner and then some more air. Your problem sounds like a blocked primary jet or emulsion tube. The Haynes Carb manual (not sure if its still in print) covers it very well.
If you have stripped the carb, all the settings will be lost. Have you been able to set up the CO properly as this can cause similar problems.
Ross
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Hi Ross,
I didn't use compressed air, but I did go through a whole can of carb cleaner.
I haven't reset the carb for CO readings either. The car did start OK and idle fine, once warm, but I guess that should be done.
I have removed the main jet, checked it and it seems fine. Is the emulsion tube the one that pokes into the carb barrel?
The filter under the inlet union was clean too.
Maybe I will try a replacement main jet. Do you know where is best to get one?
Failing that, I will remove it again and take it to a garage to blow through with compressed air.
Thanks for your advice.
Antony
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Are you absolutely sure it's carb related? I'd check the ignition system over and see if you're getting a good spark across all the rev range (one of those neon spark testers that fits between the plug and the HT lead is useful and cheap).
Also check that all of your vacuum hoses are intact, not perished and securely connected.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
I gave it another good clean and this time, a plastic bit that I originally thought was solid, turned out to be a very clogged filter. The car runs much better now, but still misses a bit on part throttle.
I have obtained a copy of the Haynes carb manual and will give it another strip down next week. If that doesn't solve the problem completely, then a new set of plugs and leads will be called for.
Thanks for all your advice.
Antony