Xantia heater matrix renewal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Xantia heater matrix renewal

Post by LeeDJC »

Hi all.

I have ordered a new matrix for my estate today, and am hoping on changing it next week (weather permitting!!)

Has anyone who has done this before got any gems of information that might make any of the fiddly bits a bit easier?

Thanks!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Having done this myself the best gem I can come up with is get someone else to do it :lol:

Seriously, give yourself a couple of days to do it, make notes and take pictures. I tagged all the electrical connectors to make sure they went back where they came from. Index all the bits on the steering column so they go back in alignment. Remove the water connection pipe assembly with the engine warm. Good Luck!
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yep like stempy has said make sure to disconnect the pipes to the matrix when the car is warm or there is a risk you will brake the plastic connector and this is a dealer only pipe and it's expensive, just take your time and you will be fine it's not a difficult job it just takes ages, it took me around 12hrs to do, the only probs i had were the haynes Manuel didn't mention there was a screw holding the glovebox in place which is in the bottom of the glovebox under the carpet bit, and also there is a stud holding the dash in place which is behind the lhm reservoir.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

You don't need to remove the glovebox or the passenger airbag, pull the dash away then reach behind and unplug the relevant wires.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lee,

If it helps make you feel a little better, I've got to bite the bullet and do mine sooner rather than later :cry: I turned the temperature up this evening to keep the car from steaming up (car was full of teenage girls at the time) and it smelt like a curry house for a good bit longer than it normally does :lol:

Good tip on the airbags Richard, I'm still very wary of the things in all honesty!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Re: Xantia heater matrix renewal

Post by marsalek »

LeeDJC wrote:Hi all.

I have ordered a new matrix for my estate today, and am hoping on changing it next week (weather permitting!!)

Has anyone who has done this before got any gems of information that might make any of the fiddly bits a bit easier?

Thanks!
Hi LeeDJC,

here are some (clickable) pics from the repair...
http://www.xantiaclub.cz/view.php?cislo ... 2006030001

Be prepared, it looks pretty messy!

Wish you good luck!
Karel
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Thanks for the replies, and help!

Weather permitting, I am going to tackle this today!

Think of me when you sitting in front of the telly later this evening!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lee,

All the best with this job :D

Looking forward to a full account of it and a successful outcome!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Dash removal on the Mk I, different, but may be of some use.
Have a 'nice day' on the job. :wink:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?p=64323

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17811
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Well, due to the disasterous weather, the job has been put off until further notice. Probably next week, unless the weather is radically better tomorrow!
deian

Post by deian »

Well I'll join everyone else and wish you Good Luck. But lets not be pessimistic here, it's just a long job, not difficult really (not that i've done one myself), it is a job i'd tackle myself.#

My tip of the day for you is to get a digital camera, preferably with a big LCD in the back, and take lots of pictures, especially of questionable things like the order of screws. Something else I'd get too is a magnetic screw holder, and also a assorted screw box (with dividers, cheap to buy) so you can share out the different screws from different areas. Also some sticky labels, slice them into lines and just write what you need on cables/pipes holes and their corresponding section in the screw box.

Geeky is the way to be with this kind of job.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I recently did a matrix on a mk1 punto which was a dash out job, and expected the worst.

TBH, it was pretty easy, just a long job. There where pretty much only two types of screws during the whole job, so was pretty easy to remember which went where.

I expect the Xantia to be more involved as it seems better built, but I'll taking it apart and putting back together again with no gap in between (depending on weather!), as I've already got the matrix, so all should be ok :)
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If you can, get hold of a set of box spanners as i found them handy when i did the matrix on my xantia mkI. You need them fo release the dash from in the engine bay.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Well.....it's all done! It took longer than required due to the disasterous weather!!!

I couldn't remove the elbow bracket from the bulkhead, so had to disconnect the matrix from inside. Luckily the new one was a direct replacement, so bolted straight on in the passenger compartment.

Also changed the carpet for a nice one that wasn't all stained up. When I removed the old carpet, I was amazed at how much coolant was floating about! It somehow managed to get right back to the rear footwells!

Somebody posted further up that the best tip for doing the matrix was to get someone else to do it....I concur. It's a bast*rd of a job that isn't technically difficult, but just takes forever!

Also the aircon gets in the way when removing the airbox making life a tad more difficult!

Now I just have to wait for the cold weather........
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

LeeDJC wrote:Well.....it's all done! It took longer than required due to the disasterous weather!!!

I couldn't remove the elbow bracket from the bulkhead, so had to disconnect the matrix from inside. Luckily the new one was a direct replacement, so bolted straight on in the passenger compartment.

Also changed the carpet for a nice one that wasn't all stained up. When I removed the old carpet, I was amazed at how much coolant was floating about! It somehow managed to get right back to the rear footwells!

Somebody posted further up that the best tip for doing the matrix was to get someone else to do it....I concur. It's a bast*rd of a job that isn't technically difficult, but just takes forever!

Also the aircon gets in the way when removing the airbox making life a tad more difficult!

Now I just have to wait for the cold weather........

Nice Job,
How did you get on with the airbag's, did you remove both?
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone