205 Grd 1983 (d-reg)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuart5

205 Grd 1983 (d-reg)

Post by stuart5 »

Hello there,
I have i problem with my 205 derv..
i have changed the fuel filter and when doing so broke the hand plungler, i bought a second hand button type pump.. and i can't get the fuel thro..:-(
do i need the bigger plunger? cos i can't find one in my local area. or is there something i'm doing wrong? i.e on the old filter the was a big round screw in plug.. this new one hasn't got the hole to screw that into it..?? pls help the car has been off the road for 2 months now...
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
why not get a whole replacement filter carrier, complete with plunger?
There ust be some in local scrap yards.
Antony
stuart5

Post by stuart5 »

hello there,
i've searched all the scrappies around my area and i can't find the big plunger one... only this one with the button plunger on top.
is it there plunger is not big enough to draw fuel thro? i'd tried sucking the pipe from the fuel tank to the filter and there is definatelty fuel there... i just can't get it thro!! cud i be pumping wrong (ooo er) i mean.. is there a special knack to it? does the ignition need to be on?
thanks in advance
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Is it fitted the right way round? There is probably a non-return valve in it.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you had a filter with a plunger on top, what you had was a Roto diesel type. If you've fitted one with a button, you've fitted a Bosch type. Which ever - they should both work equally as well. Have you also changed over the respective unions? Those may not be inter-changeable.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Not 100% sure about this but I would be very surprised if the drilling in the cylinder head where the thermostat housing bolts on, was any different between the old type and the later type housing with the filter on it, that would be the road I would have explored in the same predicament.
Would get more efficient pre heating of the fuel and the filter would be a doddle to change, them Rotodiesel things didn't impress me much when I had to do it on my 205.
Anyway for bleeding, the ingition needs to be switched on for the Rotodiesel pump but not necessary for the Bosch injection pump.
If the replacement Bosch filter housing has a bleed nipple on it like the lucas one, did you try loosening it and then pumping to bleed the air out, if there isn't one then take off or loosen the outlet pipe so any trapped air is expelled, once you get fuel up to the filter it should be easey to send it the rest of the way to the injection pump.
Do't let any dirt get in.
Dave
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

If you had a filter with a plunger on top, what you had was a Roto diesel type. If you've fitted one with a button, you've fitted a Bosch type.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's not strictly true, only the earlier Rotodiesel (or Lucas or CAV, they are all the same thing) filters had the plunger.
These priming pumps are notorious for failing. I hope you didn't pay too much for a S/H one. They cost a little over £30 new from Lucas/LSUK or you could probably get them here. I'd put them in the "only buy new" category.