More 205 Leaks!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

More 205 Leaks!

Post by CitroJim »

After my success at fixing my door leak I then found the boot floor was wet :evil: :evil: :evil:

Another strange cause. The ribbed trim panel on the tailgate had taken a knock at some time and broken the little securing spigot just above the lock. This was letting in any water that got behind the panel. The water then ran into the base of the tailgate and because in their infinite wisdom Peugeot put the drain holes for the tailgate INSIDE the boot, water ran straight onto the boot floor.

It was long-standing and I have a bit of minor rust to deal with on the edge of the tialgate. Luckily no rust in the boot, jsut a ruined sheet of sound deadening felt.

I may just have a watertight 205 now!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

We used to have two 205's in the family and they both had wet boot floors after heavy rain. I found that water was getting in past the bumper bolts inside the boot. They are under the light fittings. I undid the bolts, squeezed mastic around the hole then tightened them again.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

I think every 205 has its own story to tell re wet spots inside. My friends Rolland Garros has a rusty patch under the back seat from water coming up from a mounting point on the underside of the floor!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We had a real good old-fashined thunderstorm here this evening and the boot has remained dry :)

Thanks JohnD for the tip about the bumper studs :) It looks Ok there but time will tell, it seems to have chosen 2007 to spring leaks all over the place so that'll likely be next :twisted:

So far it has had a windscreen leak, a rear quarterlight leak, a passenger door leak and now the boot leak. Only the sunroof to go!!!

Dads is totally dry but has shown signs of being wet in the past so I'm keeping a careful eye on it.

After two leaky Xantias and a very leaky GTi, my daughter commented the other day "Just what is it with you and leaky cars, Dad?"
504GLD wrote:My friends Rolland Garros has a rusty patch under the back seat from water coming up from a mounting point on the underside of the floor!
Yes! from the seatbelt anchorages. It's a good idea to smother a load of underbody seal around them from the outside. This can also be caused by failing rear quaterlight seals, especially on models with opening quarterlights. Your Junior, with fixed lights, will be relatively immune from this :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

After all the rain recently, I'm happy to report one bone dry GTi in all areas :D :D :D
Jim