Girling brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

504GLD

Girling brakes

Post by 504GLD »

I've just changed the rear brake shoes on my 1982 Talbot Samba. The set up is identical to the Peugeot 104, Citroen Visa and LN/LNA, and almost the same as 205.

Now I have done nothing other than remove the old shoes, taking a picture on my phone to make sure the new ones go back the same, and put new ones on. The old ones coming off were genuine Girling (maybe original? 50k in 25yrs!). Going on were EBC, as they were the only brand I could still find and those were direct from them.

The problem. After fitting the passenger side, handbrake fine, brakes fine turning the car around in the drive. Drivers side, done but now handbrake hardly works, and the peddle on first push is non exisitant, second push a little bite, third push you smack you head against the windscreen the effort is at maximum like new.

How come? I'm confused at why all of a sudden I have this problem, both cylinders were free and not seized, both sets of shoes evenly worn. I have of course checked the fluid levels!

Do I need to go back to the self adjusters and adjust up even more by hand perhaps? This is the only area i think it could be as this bit is identical to Girling 205s, and not very reliable at the best of times?

Suggestions please!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, Girling self adjusters :twisted:

The self adjuster has not taken up the play and the first and second pushes of the pedal are filling the slave cylinders only and not actually giving any braking effort.

Are they the threaded rod type?

If so, I find you need to manually adjust them until you can just get the brake drum back on. You need to help them along and give them an idea of what they have to do.

Before doing this, check ratchet is nice and free on the thread and also check the ratchet spring is tight and making good contact with the ratchet. They loose temper over the years and need a little bend to get them in good, square contact with the ratchet.

They can be the very devil to get right but once done, they're supurb.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Hi Jim. Yes after a day pondering over it, I think you're right. My 205 doesn't adjust very well either, but had not come across this suddenly spongy peddle lark before!

Your right its the threded bar effort. Going to get it back on axle stands now and have another go. Hope I can fix it as I want to drive it up to the Wiltshire Air Ambulance charity meeting in Poulshot near Devizes tomorrow.

Update later!

Mat
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Spot on answer, had to have the drums real tight getting them on then it was ok. Found once I got the drum on, pump the brakes and use the hand brake a few times, and it became slack, so repeated it again. Done both sides, but one the adjuster doesnt ride very well against the cog, so will have to keep an eye on its effort.

Thanks again!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great stuff Mat! :D

My GTi has Girling and Dad's has Bendix. On balance, I prefer the Bendix with their pawl-plate type self-adjusters.

I'm wondering how easy it would be to convert Girling to Bendix for the future. The backplates look the same and the slave cylinders look the same too so maybe next time the GTi ones give me grief I just may try.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Well this set lasted 25 years, so I may not have to bother again!!!!