fuel consumption

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

thinking about my journeys they are generally short 6 - 8 miles and I use the air-con a lot. My commute to work includes a hill. I drive mainly on A and B roads but don't hit heavy traffic. When I drive the BX I nearly always use the performance and romp up the hill in the outside lane taking it to 4500 rpm in 3rd and 4th. When I use the Xantia I drive very sedately as I know there is no power on tap and I'm actually conscious that I don't want to get caught in the outside lane and block faster traffic. With this style of driving the rpm is usually between 1600 and 2300 with the occasional forray upto 3000. There is no undue rolling resistance as the car will roll on the slightest incline.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Mark,
It could be an interesting comparison when you take it on a "Sunday drive in the Country." [:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [:o)]
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

My 1.8 16V '95 Xantia returns around 35 MPG. My journeys are split btw unforgiving London traffic - A406 NCR, M4, M25 and long weekend hops to Wales. I don't consider this bad, but I'll still change the sparks and fuel filter. This should push it to 37-38 MPG.
Can't understand how diesels perform worse.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

now my mate tony had a 1.7TD BX estate which he thrashed without any mercy, he left me with a full tank one night and arrived back at base 254 miles later with the low fuel warning light on! which equates to just less than 20mpg, awesome! what's more despite this abuse it still managed over 200K before he got rid of it. Mind you apart from his xantia 1.9TD he also has a 406 HDI in which he managed 782 miles on around 60 litres, so driving style does make a little bit of difference ;-))))
Pete
________
Uz engine
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That must have been one sick BX estate. Although I'm lucky enough to have the 1.9, What is the typical consumption of a turbodiesel (and how much better is the HDI?) Could it be that Xantiae are geared for acceleration and that is why they are so thirsty?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Acceleration - HA!, geared for motorway cruising more like 80 mph at just over 3100 rpm.
mark
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

70 = 3200 rpm for the 1.9 n/a BX estate. 80 therefore = 3650 rpm so in theory it should drink more. wieghs 1037KG. xantiae are heavier but even so...
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

That must have been one sick BX estate. Although I'm lucky enough to have the 1.9, What is the typical consumption of a turbodiesel (and how much better is the HDI?) Could it be that Xantiae are geared for acceleration and that is why they are so thirsty?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">I don't find my petrol Xantia that thirsty, but I suppose I'm going to have to check this one out. As for accelerating, I don;t go for that either. Mine's definitely a plodder [;)]</font id="size2">
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mark_sp</i>

I'm just amazed at some of the figures reported on this site.
My xantia 1.9TD aquired in March returns on average 34 MPG
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm just back from a tour of Italy covering 2900 miles towing a 1 ton caravan. My 2.1 Xantia TD used 425 litres giving a fuel figure of 31mpg. When it's running solo, from brim to brim full, it covers 42mpg.
Your 1.9TD should give you a better return than 34.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Tom, not so much sick as thrashed, the journey I referred to was N Yorks to Blackwall in under 3hrs (grossly irresponsible;-))), acceleration on a Xantia? ;-o , possibly,..... mine is better now for 2 months of injector treatment, but not as quick as the 1.7TD BX
________
HOT BOX VAPE
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I get 30mpg out of my 2.0L turbo Xantia most of the time. And it's a PETROL. Fully loaded, with the roofbox on and not exactly taking it steady we get about 26. On a good run with little opportunity to overtake it does around 34mpg.
Only thing I can think is you are using US gallons? (20% smaller than UK gallons).
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I've just re-checked my fuel consumption as I'm now totally paranoid and convinced that I can't do the basic math required.
Well my driving has been different over the last 2 weeks, more relaxed cruising than the usual short hops - came out at 36mpg which is consistent with 34 for the short hops. On the positive side its considerably better than the 22mpg that my previous main car returned.
I don't know if its possible to close a thread that one has opened but I'm making a request for this one to die.
mark.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

No don't close the thread please because I think it's a useful exercise. It's reminding me to continue with my assessment this week and beyond (I started a full tank test on Friday and will probably fill up on Saturday!). Can't wait to see what I'm returning - always thought my 97 was pretty frugal and was satisfied with the weekly spend. Perhaps I'm just deluding myself and got used to the amount GBP. I'll know, urban cycle style, by next weekend.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Um, well I worked out that I'm only getting 34mpg from my 93 ZX td on my daily Swindon Heathrow run. Thats pretty poor for a car that allegedly returned 62 mpg at a constant 56mph back in 1993.
Perhaps I should ease back on my diving boot equipped right foot. :-(
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Or run some injector cleaner through it and change the fuel filter?