XSARA VTS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

XSARA VTS

Post by CITMAN »

Anyone had any experiences with one of these. Because in 12 months time I might be changing my current car and considering a xsara in vtr or vts form.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I've driven a couple and they're a real rocket of a car. Best in Mk2 form with wider track and stiffer suspension. They do need to pushed along though, like most 16v engines they don't come alive until 3500RPM.
Downsides are they need a cambelt every 50k, and they are known to snap on occasion. A mechanic talked me out of getting one because they can be troublesome in the engine department.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

In that case I might consider an xsara vtr hdi and get the engine management modified. How more bhp could one expect out of one of these once the ecu has been been modified. Is there anything to look for on these engines? Been put of the vts becuase the insurance premium is fairly high.
Failing this I think ill have to leave citroen land and join fordy land i.e. focus zetec as insurance and running costs are lower.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hiya
We run a BX 16V and a Xsara VTS - my wife uses the VTS for travelling to work and back mostly.
Blueboy - by mk2 shape I presume you mean the bug-eyed version? I didn't think there was any difference between mk1/2 in the suspension department for the VTS - our VTS is a mk1 and you defo don't want stiffer suspension on it!! I know all the VTR versions have standard Xsara setups and are nowhere near as stiff, so if you're speaking from VTR experience I'm sure you're right.
The VTS will lose you fillings over expansion joints and speed humps so I wouldn't recommend making it any stiffer!
As far as drivability goes, I find the VTS much more torquey than my BX with enough oomph from 2,000 upwards - you won't make quick progress till 4,000 shows but nor do you constantly need to drop a gear just to get going!
As for reliability, we've had ours for a year (it's a '99 model) and it's had 1 service and the air-con recharged, so no problems there - nothing's fallen off.
The VTS kind of shares its engine with the 306GTi-6 - but there are major differences in how they go about producing the power. The VTS has a totally different cambelt arrangement - the GTi-6 is prone to tensioner failure on most up to the phase 3's. I used to shop for parts at Lovekyn's in Kingston and they weren't aware of a single VTS cambelt failure.
I love the handling on the VTS - it's pretty neutral most of the time but will lift-off drift round roundabouts, much like the 205. It likes decent tyres too, and they're about £100 each for the Michelin's.
If you can live with the ride I'd go for it - we won't be selling ours anytime soon [;)]
Fuel economy is slightly better than the BX, and mixed driving will get you about 30mpg - will rise to mid 30's on a run, even at a 90 cruise.
Edit: forgot to add, despite the high insurance group (17 or 18?), insurance for me (29) and my wife (27) is £450 a year fully comp - about what the BX used to cost me before it went to classic cover (£250 now!)
Adrian
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ouch and I thought my zx 16v at group 15 was bad! :)
I have looked at the vts as a possible next car. The mk1's are coming under 4k and I kinda like the gold as at least its different. Can the steering wheel be adjusted for reach as well as rake? The problem I have in my zx is I have to sit way back due to my long legs and then the wheel is too far away. I could solve it with a different wheel with deeper dish but reach adjustment built in would be a bonus
Darren
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Darren
You can get an early(ish) VTS for well under £4k - our V plate, 1 private owner and 19k example (in Bora Bora puke-green!) cost less than £6k when bought last year at less than 3 years old - that's about 30% retained value after 3 years [:0]
If you like the Helios Yellow you shouldn't have much trouble finding one - they're about the most common colour, strangely.
The steering wheel is adjustable for reach and rake, so you should be OK!
As for insurance, group doesn't make THAT much difference - get a quote and see is the only way to go. Our insurance is with Adrian Flux as they were way cheaper than the mainstream insurers.
Adrian
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Ooh cunning ta
I was meaning to give them a ring when my ZX policy runs out in a month. I had the Visa insured with them last year. It cost me less than my ZX even though it had a totally different engine that was tuned, fully stripped out with a cage and so on but as i say, was £100 less than my zx???
Hmm time to load tesco.com which will give me a rough idea of their cost for zx vs xsara although they were more than admiral when i checked before but will be rough idea.
Im paying about £430 at the moment 3rd f+f on the ZX with 3 years ncb, about to hit 4 years and im 26.
I though all mk1's were in helios yellow as you put it or was this just the first year? What other colours are available. A yellow like the leon cupras would be nice as it sticks out :)
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hiya
Well ours is Bora Bora Green, the same shade as some late 205 GTi's. Strangely also a colour of prererence on a lot of 106's 1.1's and Picasso's!!
They can also be found in a VERY nice shade of metallic blue which really looks the biz. There's a dark shade of green too, and I think a pearlescent red. That's all I can remember at the mo!
If you can find one with leather then that's worth a bit extra - not that common on them.
Avoid any that have the sunroof instead of the climate control - a very small number have both! It cost about a grand to have them together!
Good hunting!
Adrian