Rear Fog lights not working 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Rear Fog lights not working 306

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi, I am wondering if someone can help I cant get my rear fog lights to work on my Peugeot 306,(L reg) I bought the car second hand and they have never worked, I can't actually workout if there should be a relay for these lights the fuses are OK. Any help is appreciated.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

There's no relay for the rear fogs, the feed comes through the same circuit as the front fogs. This confused me, as I don't have front fogs and my rear fogs weren't working up until last weekend so I set aside an evening to digest the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.
My original problem was that while the fogs didn't work, the switch illuminated when the sidelights were on to aid with locating the switch in the dark as it should, but when I turned the fogs on the light went out completely. I initially diagnosed this as a faulty switch, but a replacement from a scrappie soon put pay to that idea.
In the end I discovered that whilst you might not have front fogs, all the wiring is still there. Assuming you don't have front fogs, the front fog switch would be the switch immediately left of the rear fog switch. If you take the surround from the switches and clock there you'll notice that what would be the front fog switch is a dummy switch. Pull it out and you should find a yellow multiplug attached to the end of it. If not, that's quite possibly your fault, so delve into the dash (you might want to remove the clock to improve access), fish that yellow plug from inside and reattach it to the dummy plug. You'll notice that on the dummy plug there's a metal plate on one side which completes the rear fog circuit.
That's all it took for me; a five minute jiggle, so I hope that helps.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi,
I don’t have front fogs, I followed your instructions though I couldn’t find a yellow multiplug. The spare dummy switch has a hole in it, where an LED has been fitted for my Toad alarm. I had the alarm fitted just after I got the car, as the Peugeot alarm was faulty. I’ve looked all over under the dash for the yellow multiplug, I intend looking again because what you say sounds logical.
I would like to hope the alarm fitter didn’t remove this yellow connector, thus causing my fogs not to work.
I don’t remember if the fog lights worked before I had the alarm fitted I only realised a year after, when I needed it MOTing.
Can I ask you at what stage you realised your rear fogs were’nt working, plus was the yellow multiplug connected to the dummy switch, and you jiggled it about to get your fogs working.
Mark
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Just a thought Mark, has it got or ever had a towbar fitted, if there is one have a look inside the electric socket for the pesky fog cut out contact.
Dave
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I guessed something was up when the switch didn't illuminate properly (the light in the switch went out when I turned the fogs on).
The yellow multiplug had come detached from my dummy switch and sounds like it has from yours too, providing it was there to start with. What model 306 is yours? If it's a low-spec one the wiring might be different, I don't have my Haynes manual to hand to check.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Mines the XLD:
You are describing the same symptoms as my car, I’m going to see if I can get my manual back I’ve lent it out.
Mark
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

I’ve got hold of my Haynes Manual now, its awkward to separate the wiring with there only being a picture of front and rear fog lights, (Page12:30 – 12:31) if only I knew whether the two are linked would make it easier. It seems there are two different fuses used suggesting different circuits. I still haven’t been able to find a yellow multi-plug yet on my car. It seems on your car the yellow multiplug is part of your setup for both rear and front even though you don’t have front fogs. It’s a puzzle, I will keep plodding on, it’s interesting though frustrating.
Mark
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The front and rear fogs (FF and RF) are linked. It took me about an hour of tracing lines to figure it out, but when the RF are off the switch bulb is fed through F12/F9. When you turn the RF on though, the feed comes through the FF switch (on terminals 1 & 2 of yellow plug (Haynes 5/F8), which are connected by the dummy switch) through F11/F8 and then on to the rear light clusters. It seems a crazy way of doing things, but that's how it's done.
Have a look in your fusebox under the steering column and if you find an empty yellow relay holder then you should certainly have the yellow multiplug behind the dummy switch somewhere. My guess is that whoever fitted your alarm unplugged the multiplug not realising that it completes the circuit. If you've got wires trailing from an LED in the dummy switch it might make it tricky to put the multiplug back on so you might need to bodge it a bit. But with care, of course. Best of luck with sorting it out.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

If you've got wires trailing from an LED in the dummy switch it might make it tricky to put the multiplug back on so you might need to bodge it a bit. But with care, of course.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> you could just do away with the plug & just solder the wires together.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

wheeler
At present I can't find the yellow multiplug, from what I can see of the rear fog light switch there's about five wires connected so if I do find the yellow multiplug I would have some trouble finding which two wires to solder.
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

batwad:
Found the empty yellow relay holder: so back in the Dash looking for the yellow muliplug I go, there's the bugger hiding, I find the yellow muliplug,I find the metal plate you refer to, looks like these are the terminals that make the contact. The dummy switch comes apart, so I connected the metal plate into the muliplug and taped them together, and then I was able to feed the LED for the alarm back into the Dummy switch. Well done Batwad couldn't have done this without your help, I have one fog light on and all because of you thanks, I will go and get another bulb and then I should have two fogs on.
Thanks again.
Mark