Xantia Towing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

infinicar

Xantia Towing

Post by infinicar »

Hi All,
Since you have all been most helpful on my couple of niggles post, I thought I would post another query. My estate has a towbar, but no electrics. Is this easy to do, or even better does it have a universal plug which I can plug the trailer socket loom into? I know some car manufacturers do this to make fitting electrics easier, but after a quick scout round the rear of my car I couldnt find such a plug. If not, having never done this particular job on any car before, would you recommend I undertake it (good at engines, but autotmotive electronics have a habit of annoying me!)
Also, I need to to a recommended towing weight - the handbook mentions 1200 and 1500 kgs, but which one mine is isnt clear. I also think the figs are legal in France?
It would be great if I could legally tow my clio track car with the Xantia as well as my 4x4. Gross weight of the clio and trailer is about 1300kg.
Regards
Paul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Paul,
See here where we discussed towbar wiring:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1994
There is no socket, but a kit is available that plugs into the lighting clusters.
There should be a max trailer weight and max GVW on the VIN plate - these are the legal limits. 1300 kg should be about 100% of the kerb weight of a TD estate, so it should be legal. Whether it's desirable is another matter!!
Richard
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Yeah not ideal, but in case of emergency, it would do.
Thanks
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul -
AFAIR even the estate Xantia's have rather short rearaxle/towbar distance - which makes it less prone to instability towing to max weight.
The sedan Xantia's have a unique short distance here - making it a very stable towcar.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'll admit I've pulled 2500Kg on the back of mine before now without any major problems, albeit over a short distance.
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Well we all exceed towing limits dont we....you just have to be sensible. I mean I have a brand new car trailer, the car is always strapped down on all 4 wheels, the saftey cable is always attached, I always test lights and brakes before travelling...so as long as you are careful on speed, a few KGs over the limit isnt gonna hurt.
Ive been towing cars for 3 years now and never had a problem....
Im always a bit dubious about towbars fitted prior to my ownership tho - which is why I was considering having a new one fitted anyway....the one on there currently, looks a bit of a lash up.
Paul
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Well, I sorted out the cit electrics kit, and all works fine apart from the fog lights dont cut out on the car when you put them on with trailer attached. Nevermind not to worried about that.
I towed a car on my trailer back the other day and I was very impressed - considering Im used to towing with a SWB shogun 2.5TD, the xantia was almost as stable, almost as powerful and well pretty impressive really. One thing confused me tho - I didnt think my model had the auto levelling suspension as theres no button nr the susp. adjustment - however, upon loading the car onto the trailer, the xantia (engine running) was pulled down at the rear, as you would expect - but then it starts rising, and levels out again? No sure whats going on there? Anyone enlighten me?
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hehehe Paul [:D][:D][:D]
You have just experienced the most evident advantage with a hydraulic Citroen :
It levels itself - no matter the load [:p][:)][^]
- and one more advantage especially on the rear axle :
Since a higher hydraulic pressure is needed to counteract the compression of the gassphere under load - this pressure is ALSO feeded to the rear brake's circuit.
- meaning your rear brake force is ALLWAYS precisely adjusted exactly to the load imposed on the rear axle [:p][:)][^]
These 2 outstanding features makes any hydraulic Citroen a very stable work horse.
The suspension height control inside the car is ONLY used for VERY special purposes - and should NEVER be altered during normal drive.
The higher settings is used for either aid in wheelchanging - or when driving over VERY rough roads - at very LOW (snail) speed - taking advantage of the increased underbody clearance.
At the lowest setting you have NO suspension at all - the car sinks down onto the rubber stops.
At the next highest setting - the suspension is raised for a higher clearance - which also makes the car unstable at speeds.
At the most highest setting - the suspension is forced against the high excursion bump stops - resembling the low setting - but with max clearance.
PS :
If you want a popular & easy to understand explanation of the hydraulic suspension principle - then try this (genuine Citroen) film :
http://www.citroen.ac/videos/ -> "Prinzip der hydropneum...... "
Right click this title & select download.
- my bet is this film will also amuse your missus - and make her understand the hydropneumatic suspension.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Wait till you do it one day with WITHOUT the engine running, and it STILL comes back up!!! Took me a while to figure that one out, but it's due to the accumulator holding pressure which satisfies the demand from the rear heigh corrector. Very odd the first time it does it.....!
Richard