Rover with Peugeot engine?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ChristineC

Rover with Peugeot engine?

Post by ChristineC »

Hi folks,
I have a Rover 218 SLD Turbo and someone said it has a Peugeot engine, so I hope that you don't mind me asking which Peugeot model equates to it for spares?
The problem is a whirring noise coming from the engine, and one or two other niggles. It is suugested that it might be the timing belt and/or water pump, the alternator has also been mentioned in conjunction with another fault too. I've been trying to get some idea of parts prices/availablity, but without knowing which Peugeot model to use, it's proving difficult. Thanks for any help.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

These engines are to be found in quite a few Peugeot and Citroen models, most of the main components are interchangeable but with some subtle differences.
It would be easier to post what parts you require then we can go and have a shufty in the online shop.
Take a look at the timing belt plastic cover, is it held on with spring clips or is it bolted on.
If the alternator is making a racket its not too urgent, but if the water pump or any of the other pulleys that the timing belt runs on are making noise then fixing it is urgent, if the timing belt rides off the pulleys or breaks, your engine will suffer major damage to the valve gear.
Dave
ChristineC

Post by ChristineC »

Thanks Dave ... I'll check it out and get back to you.
ChristineC

Post by ChristineC »

I have been advised that the cover is bolted on.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The bolt on cover means its a later type engine, this only makes a difference though if you are renewing the timing belt idler roller and it sounds like you may have to to be on the safe side.
Its is a 1769cc engine IIRC, this went into the early 405TD and all uk Citroen BX TD and a down rated version into the 205TD.
There are others but even the 1.9TD's share some of the components.
Look for the engine type plate (not engine number) riveted to the engine, usually slap bang in the centre of the block at the front, if you have got this and Jon Wood looks in, he will be able to tell you precisely the cars that have this engine.
Dave
ChristineC

Post by ChristineC »

The plot thickens ... being a feeble female I omitted to mention something I thought was unrelated to my whirring noise problem BUT could possibly be relevant. When I switch the engine on and wait for the amber curly light [glow plugs?] to go out prior to starting the engine, I used to have three red lights come on oil, handbrake, and battery. Now I only have oil & handbrake ones, and the battery one does not light until I actually start the engine and eventually goes out when the revs increase. That makes me think that it just might be the alternator that is causing the problem. Also the revometer (tachometer ? in the Peug manual) has just stopped working, it was acting up a bit, but has gone completely now. Is that connected to the alternator? Or is is just coincidence. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.X X X X X X :)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmm...sounds like you need to get your alternator looked at then Christine, the battery (charge) light should be on at switch on as you know.
Some tacho's can take their signal from the alternator but these are usually retro fit types, if this engine was in a Peugeot it would deffinately get its tacho signal from a sensor in the bell housing flange at the back of the engine, these sensors don't give much trouble in my experience, who knows what Rover has done to get a signal for the tacho, though I would be surprised if it were any different to the Pug setup.
Don't go quoting Peugeot model numbers if you go to purchase an alternator, its very likely that it will not be the same.
Dave