306 instrumentation troubles

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

306 instrumentation troubles

Post by batwad »

Hi,
I bought my first car last week, an L-reg 306 XTDT and am in the process of sorting out some minor niggles before I start using it to commute next week. I've had the right halfshaft replaced which cured the knocking noise and a couple of other bits but I'm stumped by these few.
First off, the rev counter is all wobbly. It seems to read about right most of the time but occasionally it'll flop back down to zero or wobble around 1500 and then leap back into life. I've checked the sensor contacts under the bonnet and they look clean enough. Is this likely to be a faulty rev counter?
I've read several posts from people with "water in fuel filter" light problems, which I have. I drained the filter and got a small amount of water out, maybe a teaspoon or two and that fixed it but it came on again within five minutes of running the engine. I've seen other people have this problem (I've been doing my research :-) and some have just disconnected the sensor/bulb and just drain the filter every service. Is this wise or could the water cause damage?
And finally, my speedo seems to be reading about 10 or 12mph slow. Is it possible and/or easy to reset or recalibrate it? Also, the trip counter is reading fast, about a quater of a mile per mile more. It seems odd that the speed should be slow but the odometer fast. This, combined with rev counter makes me think the whole dash unit could be faulty. Any ideas how much a replacement from a scrappie would be?
Thanks in advance for your help, and here's hoping for cheap answers ;-)
Alex
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Quick update for you: went to the scrappie yesterday and bought a new IP assembly for £30. Took the old one out, replacement in and everything's working fine and accurately now. As for the fuel filter light, I just took the bulb out :-)