Push start a Deisel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

Push start a Deisel

Post by StuartR »

With referance to the other problem was wondering can you push start a deisel? Isn't it possible for a deisel to start its self if it rolls down a hill (which is why you should park in neutral)
just wondered, may need it some day
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yes it is, you need to have the car in neutral, and let it roll until approx 5 - 10 mph, then stick it in 1st, and promptly lift the clutch.
It will splutter a little, and burst into life, probably with a small mushroom cloud behind you !
Of course, you shouldn't do this with newer diesels ( those with a cat ), or petrols with cats, because they'll be trashed !
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

thanks for the quick reply
interesting about the cats, luckily havent got one
not that type anyway.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The problem with the cats is unburned fuel, you see. They like to sniff exhaust fumes, not fuel !
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would advise second gear for bump starting, the high compression of a diesel can put up a mountain of resistance to being turned in bottom gear, engaging the clutch too fast could cause damage like breaking off gear teeth or snapping engine mountings.
Dave
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Very interesting all,
Dave will take note of this point 2nd it is
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've also used "Ezi-start" (Ether) to speed up the starts; makes for some interesting sounds for a couple of revs but I've seen them start with it when they were cranky without.
I recently helped a guy start a Bobcat digger that didn't want to know about starting. He used Ezi-start and even LPG without success. In desperation he asked if I had any more ether or similar & I sprayed some cheapie aerosol degreaser down its gullet & it fired immediately.[:D][}:)]
Wouldn't imagine it would be the kind of stuff they'd recommend in teh handbook but gee it sure was effective; I'll be real careful spraying that stuff near flames & hot exhausts in future though[:0]
Alan S