Xsara Aftermarket Radio Fitting Woe !!!

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

poormansporsche

Xsara Aftermarket Radio Fitting Woe !!!

Post by poormansporsche »

alright peeps,

ive just brought a 2000 w plate xsara vtr 1.8 furio with no radio, ive got a pioneer head unit in the garage, ive brought the supposedly right converter block / stalk converter from autoleads (code from their webby) fitted all in but the radio doesnt turn on or off with the key and the steering wheel controls are mental. Im not bothered about the steering wheel controls but does anyone know which wire is which so i can just wire it straight in? ive got a haynes but there are more wires going into the sort of iso plug than is showing in the haynes manual (a white wire etc) It seems from the autoleads website that the wiring is different on xsara's between the end of 1999 to mid 2000 than earlier xsara's and later mk2 xsara's - also the radio shop mistakenly gave me the converter block from a very early xsara which didnt work either - on my xsara there is 3 iso type connectors - the 2 normal ones and a seperate thinner one for the steering wheel controls

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Brett
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

The cable pinouts should be something like this:

Pin 1 - N/A
Pin 2 - N/A
Pin 3 - N/A
Pin 4 - 12V
Pin 5 - Automatic aerial
Pin 6 - Illumination
Pin 7 - Ignition
Pin 8 - Ground

Pin 1 - Right rear speaker +
Pin 2 - Right rear speaker -
Pin 3 - Right front speaker +
Pin 4 - Right front speaker -
Pin 5 - Left front speaker +
Pin 6 - Left front speaker -
Pin 7 - Left rear speaker +
Pin 8 - Left rear speaker -

Citroen really don't help by making all the cables the same colour, do they? :roll:

You should be able to double-check these pinouts in the owner's manual in your golvebox.
ImageImage
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ross please dont worry this thread moved -

I found it such valuable it deserved a permanent store in handy hints & tips 8)

Thanks
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the problem here is that the multiplexed xsara has no ignition live feed at the radio.you need to run a seperate feed to it (ideally from the cig lighter).you should only have 3 wires running to the power block on the radio.battery live,ignition live & earth,all the other wires on the car harness must be isolated from the radio to save causing problems with the BSI.
poormansporsche

cheers peeps, thanks for the help - i will just run the red and yellow power wires into the permanant live for the time being and isolate the others and see if this stops the steering wheel controls going mental - scuse my ignorance but what is the BSI?

also i have no manual or handbook !!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

poormansporsche wrote:scuse my ignorance but what is the BSI?
Built-in Systems Interface. it's a control unit that deals with a lot of the interior functions like Radio,display,instrument panel,central locking,A/C & passes the info about from each system.
poormansporsche

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

on my car the fag lighter is a permanant live feed not a switched one - anybody got any ideas what else might be straight switched feed not multiplexed feed or is everything multiplexed ???

also had a email back from autoleads saying basically "sorry mate, we dont support this unit any more as pioneer now make their own one" - so the local radio shop is getting the pioneer one in for me but i cant see it being any different to the autoleads one unless the multiplexed switched lead actually goes into the "controller / convertor" box which it doesnt do on the autoleads one

cheers
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

poormansporsche wrote:Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

on my car the fag lighter is a permanant live feed not a switched one - anybody got any ideas what else might be straight switched feed not multiplexed feed or is everything multiplexed ???
If you look at fuse 23 in the interior fusebox you will see that you can pull it out & move it over a position,if you move it over it will change the fag lighter to an accesory feed.
poormansporsche

top man - will give that a punt !
poormansporsche

alreet,

fuse move and wire routed from fag lighter and the radio is now switching off nicely (the steering wheel controls are still mental though!)

But is it normal on the xsara to have relays clicking all over the show? There must be 3 relays that click after the ignition is switched off ???