Replacing fuel tank pipes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodhead722

Replacing fuel tank pipes

Post by woodhead722 »

Has anyone replaced the pipes from the top of the tank?
I have a 1992 205 that is weeping diesel somewhere mid length and the other has already been shortened an inch as it was split at the end.
As the pipe clips are crimped it looks a case of don't start unless you CAN finish.
What I fear is that new pipe won't easily thread down and the tank has to be lowered, which I hear IS difficult.
Your experiences, particularly wrt temp joining of old/ new pipes to feed thro' would be appreciated.
THANKS!
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Sorry I should have made it obvious that they are FLEXIBLE fuel pipes I am referring to!
Thanks!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The metal sections of the fuel pipes are aluminium or at least they were on my 88 GLD, it sprang aleak near the front just before the bend upto the bulkhead, I replaced it with copper but didn't touch the tank on that occasion, it went into rubber before it climbed over the tank so just pulled the old out and shoved the new in, secured with new clips of course.
Earlier I had to lower the tank slightly to replace the brake pipes but don't remember it being that much of a pain.
Dave
dennis

Post by dennis »

I did this the other day. The clips aren't crimped - they can be prised apart using a pair of pincers and then re-used. It's best, when replacing the flexible pipe at the tank end, to tie a bit of string to the end of the old pipe, at the tank end, and then pull this through with the old pipe from underneath. When putting the new bit of tube in, pull this through the same way with the string from the top of the tank downwards. It's very hard, if not impossible, to pull it up from underneath the car. If it's a diesel the metal flow pipe is 10mm and the return pipe 8mm and you can find clear plastic tubing at the plumbers' merchants that will do nicely. You can re-use the Peugeot clip by squeezing it back on with a pair of pincers. If you're replacing the mtal pipe as well you can use soft copper 8mm and 10mm tube, also from the plumbers' merchant. The cost of materials is minimal (so long as you don't go anywhere near a Peugeot dealer) It got me through the MOT without any trouble.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You can buy lengths of fuel pipe at Halfords. Probably a better idea than using something from a plumbers merchants.
Remember a lot of plastics/rubber compounds will dissolve in diesel.[xx(]
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Thanks gentlemen, I thought the clips were not re useable, but I do have some just in case.
I feared not being able to thread the new pipe thro' from the tank top, but it does sound OK. I was thinking of connecting old/ new with a short lengh of bolt inside both and clasping with plastic ties, before feeding through.
Forgive my caution but the jobs that only need a few thing taking off are sometimes the worst....are they not?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I did this job on my daughter's diesel 205 and if you do as Dennis outlined in his post you should have no difficulty. A word of warning - the plastic on the unit going into the tank seems to become brittle with age. They easily snap, as I found out to my cost. Also, in my case the flow and return were the same diameter. I would also suggest using flexible fuel hose from an accessory shop. To cut corners, I used a length of tubing meant for butane gas. It lasted less than a year.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Thanks John
I have noticed the weak looking plastic pipes, and was going to use pipes from an accessories shop who sells per length. I noticed underneath that the flow metal pipe is slightly fatter than return.
The flexi pipes are of different material tho'(and I've had since new),the flow seems to have some criss-cross material covering the pipe, what for I'll never know!
Did it need priming on re-start?
Thanks for reassurance!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by woodhead722</i>

Did it need priming on re-start?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes!
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Done the job, thanks for all your help.
Got away without priming, had engine end down drive hoping to avoid any drainage of diesel, started engine gave fast idle, and noted one or two hesistant spots for a couple of minutes.
Gave test run UP hill for about half mile and everything OK. Presume air will have passed thro' now.
Old flow tube bore appeared to be 9mm, and 10mm or 8mm offered at car spares.Used 8mm,on the car's 10mm fixed pipes, bit tight but at least made routing over tank easier.
CHEERS!