Pug Rear Suspensions

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

Pug Rear Suspensions

Post by StuartR »

205 92J 125K
Does anyone know about torsion bars out there.
I have a problem like a previous one posted by a 405 estate owner with a saging suspension. No one answered his so can some one shead some light. Measuring distance above rear wheels the near side is about 1.5 cm lower than the offside. This makes it slope a bit.
This a common problem with older models as ive noticed on others. Is it worth replacing the dampers (I've seen some Koni on a gti at a breakers yard is it worth using them? - they can be raised and lowered so one side could be altered on them??)
If as I imagine it requires adjusting how much can expect to pay at a pug dealer, does it have to be a pug dealer, could I do it myself??
I know I'm not the only one who's interested. <i></i>
----
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Stuart, dampers shouldn't affect the ride height unless they aren't working at the same rate, i.e one has either gone weak or stiff, the position of the suspension arms when the damper mountings are nipped up can make a difference.
Loosen the damper mountings at both ends and both sides, jack the rear end up then on the side that appears weak, tighten the mountings then lower the car to the ground and place some weight in the boot and tighten the other mountings.
this may easily influence the height by the 7mm per side that you require, it will only work though if the damper mounting bushes don't turn in their eyes, i.e if when tight the demper swings almost freely then don't bother.
All thats required to alter the ride height is to pull the arm out, turn it one spline and replace it, if you have a Haynes manual it's a cake walk, it's a long time ago since I did mine on a 205 GLD, you have to unbolt the anti-roll bar that goes through the main axle tube, unbolt the torsion bar at the opposit side of the car and use a slide hammer to pull the arm out along with the bar, that is from what I can remember about it, you certainly don't have to pay through the nose and have a dealer do it.
Good luck
Dave
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for the reply I'll have a look again at the Haynes.
Just a note I've got an old Haynes which covers rear suspension but when I looked at the latest reprint from library it isn't as well covered and gives a high difficulty rate if I remember right. That put me off a bit. I'll probably have a go then. Cheers
----