Dodgy lights, still pulling hair out!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

Dodgy lights, still pulling hair out!

Post by StuartR »

205 1.8D J
Does any one know where I can get some good electrics info for a 205D either on net or books ect. Got Haynes but elec diagrams are nothing like as good as the saxo version which is very clear to understand.
Lights going funny still front washer now stopped, which must mean short circuits I'm guessing as 2 green wires melted sometime in past exposing cable (just got car so not me) reason - idiot using wrong fuses.
Any advice? struggling on ......
----
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Its OK i've solved the electrical problems (fingers crossed) but if anyone is having similar problems i'll explain how i sorted them out.
the problems where -
1. rear offside brake light going out after 5 presses
2. offside headlamp not dipping but still ok on full (and sometimes otherside going odd)
3. front windscreen wash
4. rear windscreen wash
solved by
1. after checking the rear brake lights, found it was a contact corrosion problem. First cleaned the contacts for the bulb which is the small tongue, used wet and dry until shiny again. Then removed the light cluster from body, which is one 10mm nut from hole in rear wing. One by one remove plug contacts from back, clean up with small file til clean and cover with bit of vaseline. Still no luck then remove the next nut on rear cluster to remove the plastic reflectors which then shows a sort of printed circuit on a grand scale. Check all these are intact and in place remove any corrosion. This was my problem corrosion had seperated one of the contacts. sand it clean and use vaseline to stop it happening again.
2. cleaned all the conecting plugs and vaselined esp. behind lights and then check the two main earthing plates either side of the radiator (205 and probably 309 , 405?). Unplug the earths and remove the plates one at a time dismantle and file down the two copper plates surfaces till they are shiny again-not dark grey like mine- make sure the contact pins are clean. Vaseline to protect, this should do the trick as they are prone to corrosion in that position. Only the bulb to change now as of course! dip/full use two different filements in the bulb so one can work but not the other.
3. front washer was having earthing fault so solved by cleaning main earthing plates.
4. rear washer had current going to it but not working (use a test lamp on the disconnected plug).
This meant motor fault, could have got new motor but dismanteled and fixed instead. To do this remove and first pull out side contacts which have two thin copper contacts which go onto the motor axle so be careful. Now prise off the top using a pen knife around the gap until it pops off. Mine was full of rust in side so pull out the motor de rust with small file, wd40 until clean, Don't damage the thin copper wires or you'll ruin it. Cover with a bit of copper grease or vaseline and replace. Make sure it spins ok. Should work ok now (if not blow in first place)
motor on front and rear exactly the same.
Hope it helps someone.
----