EGR Valve?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

EGR Valve?

Post by Blagarse Yank »

My Pug 306td (97 on p reg with 75K on it) has unexpectedly failed it's MOT on an emissions failure.
The chap behind the counter swore blind that it was the "EGR" valve that needed to be disconnected.
I was dubious-and checking through the haynes manual it states that their is no info available on this device at time of press!
Does anyone out there have any experience on this-from the description of the device - all it does is dump exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold-a cause of emissions failure if ever I heard one as what should be fresh air is actually once used exhaust gas.
Are the chaps at the garage talking out of the back of their heads-or am I missing the logic on this thing?? It makes no sense at all
Be grateful for any clarity you could give.
Thanks
Blaggy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Rather unlikely. Personally, I'd make sure the air filter was clean, put a double measure of Millers Dieselclean or Diesel Redex in the tank and take the car for a thrashing up a motorway. Make sure the engine is well up to temperature before retesting.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

JohnD,
Thanks for your prompt reply,
Have put some diesel cleaning fluid in, check and cleaned airfilter, and given the car a good thrashing.
It failed the re-test and my garage are now saying "it might be the injectors" I told them that at what- £30 a pop?? I'm not spending money on a "might be" problem
I'm going to get it re-tested somewhere else to double check it. I did notice that it was blowing out a lot of crap at a ton and that never seemed to clear up.
Blaggy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Injectors shouldn't really be goosed at just 75k but is that original.

Obviously its designed to be inside current imission regulations with the EGR working so for some reason its getting too much fuel.
If you are unwilling to try injectors and who would at £30 a throw not knowing if they are the cure, your only option is to shut it down a bit on the pump, if its too slow you can open it back up when you've got the ticket, but if it smokes too much you could get spot checked.
Dave
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Guys,
The mystery deepens-I drove the car today (its my partners motor) and gave it a good thrashing.
The car is pushing out smoke like no tomorrow. At 105 MPH-not that I would ever have driven that fast of course- the smoke cloud never dissapered-constant smoking.
The puff of smoke given out on 2nd or 3rd gear is impressive-James Bond smoke screen stuff. Seems to blow a lot more crap out when taking a sharp left hander and accelerating out of the corner in 2nd or 3rd.
Thing is it's flying along-it's not slow, motor seems fine and all seems well.
The car is checked into a different MOT centre-one who is being sympathetic (well...they say they are...) and they are promising to run it all day and let it get good and hot.
Will let you guys know what they say. I am turning to the idea that it is over viewing. Smoke is usually white.
Thanks for input and thoughts so far.
Blaggy
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Sorry-above should read-I am turning to the view that it is over fuelling. How do I wind down the pump??
Blaggy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Lucas or Bosch?
Dave
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Dave,
I will have to check-being in daily use it's hard to find the time.
I have managed to get the car past it's MOT now-but I'm going to have sort this out. Just revving the car their are clouds of black!
Is there much difference in procedure between these two pumps?