cutting out....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jkyl119
My Cars:

cutting out....

Post by jkyl119 »

hiya! on me way back in the car, i pulled to one side to allow other cars through and when it was clear, i tried to move off only to realise that i had no engine power. i tried starting the car again, but wouldn't, however after several attempts it eventually did!! i have a peugeot 106 quicksilver, S reg and i was wondering whether its a common fault?!
im the third owner and they've replaced the spark plugs 2ice in 4 years!!! Is it s'thing to do with battery, i need to tune it up, alternator, ignition coils? Also, is it a major problem???
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

When was the last time the fuel injection system was serviced?
Alan S
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

was this a one off or has it been doing it regularly ?,is there a pattern to it ?,does it misfire/hesitate before it happens ? does the engine management light come on ? one thing to try thats easy to rule out is give the MAP sensor connector a wiggle while the engine is running & see if it starts to stuter. (if your looking at the engine from the front of the car its on the left hand side of the inlet manifold and has a 3 pin grey connector on it.)
jkyl119
My Cars:

Post by jkyl119 »

<b>reply to Alan</b>: i've no idea when the fuel injection system was serviced.
<b>reply to Wheeler</b>: since i've had the car it has happened only twice, but from the receipts from the previous owners, it seems like its a recurrent problem.
In my panic state, i remember that when i tried to start the engine it worked then kinda stuttered then cut out completely, it was as though it was struggling to keep the engine running.
I will have a look at the MAP sensor connector, suppose its a start.
Would you guys know if it this problem would also show up on an MOT as me car is due for one.
I've also noticed that when i lock my car, there a squeaking or some sound like a motor which you can hear coming from the door (i guess the mechanism in the door!). Any solutions?
Plus, my sunroof was leaking and i thought it was the seal, which i replaced, but i think its them long plastic things which helps to guide the water away. Is it a big job to replace, as i think its affecting my central locking which i thought would've been resolved by replacing the seal?!?!
As if that wasn't enough, my coolant isn't blue as it was when i first put it in. I have had it drained and changed at a garage. But the problem is that when i take off the cap by the neck of the cylinder there is a piece of metal and i think its used to measure the level, its rusty which i reckon causes the coolant to change colour. Again, is this a big problem to fix as well?!?!
Thanks.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

as far as i know they dont have a coolant level sensor[?] did you flush the system out ? as for the c/locking,i would take off the door panel & give the whole locking mechanism a good spray with WD-40,especially the locking solenoids,lift up the little rubber gaitors & spray under them.is this what you mean by the leak affecting your locking ? another possibility if the MAP sensor/connector are ok is the ignition coil pack.the later pug/citroen coils aint the best.the only reason i think that it could affect the MOT is if it was stuttering/misfiring while it was being tested and putting the emissions up due to the unburnt fuel.
jkyl119
My Cars:

Post by jkyl119 »

hi, Wheeler! with regards to the leak affecting my c/locking, is the two thin strips of plastics on the roof (left and right hand side) which guide any water from the roof to be drained away. I thought it was my sun roof seal, but having changed the seal,i dont think its where the problem lies. I think its the strips of plastic coz whilst washing my car, i could push them down and possible need to change them. so was wonderin if its a job i can do on my own or do i have to go to the garage?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

are you talking about the two black strips that run from the windscreen to the back of the roof ? i dont see how these could cause a leak inside the car. where is the water getting in ? have you had a look at the aerial base for leaks,it may require removed & seale,pop out the interior light so you can see the bottom of it & look for sings of water.water getting in here could also drip into the c/locking recever & affect it.is this what you mean by it affecting the locking ?
jkyl119
My Cars:

Post by jkyl119 »

hiya! Sorry for the delay in replying Wheeler. The water is getting in through the plastic strips coz i have to push them down as they kinda pop up and so water gets in that way. Also, with the aerial i think it could be that, coz water has dropped down from there when we've had a lot of rain - so will check that out. And the answer to your question is: that it is what i think which is affecting my central locking. I thought it was my sunroof seal as it was loose and so i replaced it but c/locking still not working.
jkyl119
My Cars:

Post by jkyl119 »

ive also found out that every 2years the previous owners have replaced the spark plugs, is that normal?!?! surely, they should have a longer span life?!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the spark plugs should be replaced every 36,000miles or 40,000miles depending if its on 9,000 or 10,000 mile service intervals,but you cant go wrong wiyh replacing them early.i doubt if the water leak has anything to do with the plastic gutter strips.what are your c/locking symptoms ? is there no c/locking at all ? is it just not locking with the plip ? do the other locks work when you use the key or interior knobs ?
jkyl119
My Cars:

Post by jkyl119 »

hiya!!! yesterday, i put my car in for an MOT and they rang me back saying that i had a fuel leakage and can't do one until it was fixed. So, i went to Peugeot garage to repair it as the original garage didn't want to and preferred Peugeot to look at it. Anyway, the problem was some valve underneath the car where the petrol tank and some tube was. The seal was loose and they replaced it. After that they carried out an MOT and it passed (which i thought was gona fail, but made up when it did pass!).
i've noticed that the accelerator is a lot stronger and responsive whereas b4 i had to floor it b4 i had enough power esp going up hills. but now there is no problem and i've noticed that the engine starts straight away.
after all this hassle, im gona put it through a full service and sort out everything once and for all.
if you think the water leak has nothing to do with the plastic gutters then it must have something to do with the aerial leaking! will get Peugeot to look at it too, which i reckon is gona b pricey.
my c/locking works, but i'm not sure if its the remote control coz its a bit worn also i've recently replaced the batteries and still nothing. the problem is when i use the key manually to lock the car there like a squeaking sound, a motor or something, as though its struggling - need oiling most probably. Yes, i can lock the car when im inside.
Thanks for you advice, much appreciated.