Rocker Cover Gaskit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Rocker Cover Gaskit

Post by rossnunn »

On my Tu3 engine, when I fitted it, I put a new rocker cover gaskit on, now about 4 months on it has cracked on the corners & the engine hasn't been run much.

Is there any way to stop this??
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are only two reasons I can think for a rocker cover gasket lasting only 4 months. Either the part is defective (i.e. old stock, not made properly or a cheap pattern part) or its not been correctly installed (e.g. overtightened / undertightened rocker cover bolts).

Was it a genuine part? Did you follow the Haynes BOL particularly the bit about torque settings on the cover bolts?

I'm kind of grasping at straws here and don't really want to point the finger but apart from the two reasons I've given above, I can't see why a rocker cover gasket would last such a short length of time.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yes it might be the torque settings for the rocker cover, as I did these up until they stopped then quater turned them.
I got the gasket from Euro Car Parts, only cost a couple of quid IIRC, it was really soft when I installed it, the old one had hardened to I assumed this was due to age/heat etc. I had a look at it this afternoon & it still feels quite soft, it also doesn't seem to be leaking but I haven't really run the engine, see my other post lol
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Some of these rocker cover gaskets recommend a dollap of silicone in each corner when fitted.
I've found if this advice on sealants on the overall gasket and the blob in the corners isn't followed to the letter, that they can tend to be a bit of a pain in the buttocks as regards seeping and leaking usually onto hot manifolds.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!