BX Diesel Fuel Economy!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

BX Diesel Fuel Economy!

Post by tomsheppard »

Having just serviced the BX I checked the tyre pressures, brimmed the tank and set off covering 340 miles in two days. I then returned to the same pump and brimmed the tank again. The sump is gratifyingly dry on the outside at long last[:)]and nothing fell off. I am noticing the benefit of the rev counter as well; 70MPH=3,200RPM in top. Peak torque is at 2,000RPM so I usually change up between 2,500 and 2,800. Cruising at legal speeds returned just over 59 MPG over the trip, compared to 45 before the service.
Not bad for an eleven year old with 150,000 showing on the clock[:D]
I suppose that means the engine's all right then. Thanks to everybody on the site, I have been able to save a BX before they become very rare. I am thoroughly delighted with it. With your help it has been easy. Thank you all.
Jon

Post by Jon »

So, what about the GS?
Economy ain't one of their strong points though!
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Tom that's pretty impressive, I have only seen those sort of figures once, on a non stop overnighter from here (N Yorks ) to Redruth, complete with 200KG of central heating boiler in the back. I seem to do better with the 17Turbo, if you drive it gently getting just over 50 normally, but all my 19s have been around the 43 - 45 mark
My last GSA managed 34 over the 90K I ran it for.
________
Vaporizer guide
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'd say pretty impressive too. The only time I've got close to this with a 1900 diesel was doing a near-200-mile trip when I couldn't get above 3000 rpm. The injection pump, unknown to me at the start of his trip, had been "limited" by adjusting the stop. Hence I rarely got above 60 mph and spent most of the trip at 50/55 - which was about the mpg I got too.

David
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I think that this demonstrates to us all the benefits of £9 worth of filters and six quidsworth of oil... The smoothness of the engine is better, too. I am intending another long trip soon with the car thoroughly waxed and now thankfully steam cleaned which must be making life easier for the rear spheres. Estates collect loads of mud up their rear arches!. I will be concentrating on hitting the next gear at bang on 2,000 and the target will be to get over 60 mpg. I have seen the official figures of 58.2 at a constant 56. I averaged about 60 so I guess that these are figures taken for a young engine. Mine is well run in.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Tom
what sort of driving ? I have always maintained my cars to an excellent standard but can't get anywhere near those figures. My tzd estate returns about 38mpg and my Xantia 1.9 TD about 34. To be fair I can't resist using the tzd's performance, I don't know if they all go like mine but the only other car that I've owned that could match the push you into the seat acceleration had 220bhp, can't resist showing the £30k crowd the rear of the tzd [although I should know better at my age]. Now my driving style in the Xantia could not be more different, I accept it's total lack of performance and tootle around simply enjoying its quietness and air-con, dont know how poor the fuel economy would be if I drove it in the style of the tzd.
Mark_sp
Mark_sp.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Tom, I'm just wondering about steam cleaning, it certainly makes working on it loads better, but when I was chaging the oil the other day I was just having a general look round to see if anything obvious was amiss when I noticed that there was a nice rust hole in my front subframe! Why well no oil leaks + steam clean = absolutely no protection for subframe....out with the MIG I suppose, although changing it completely is not too bad.... and all this from changing the oil...
Pete
________
IOLITE PORTABLE VAPORIZER
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

With regard to the driving style, shift up so that you arrive at peak torque when the clutch re engages. Let the car gain speed. a diesel doesn't need a lot of pedal to accelerate. Cruise at just under 70, say between 2900 and 3100 rpm. 80 to clear trucks that are bogging the journey and then back down to cruise. I was driving for economy and over a long distance, I know that I won't get anywhere by rushing. The TGD was sold to me with the warning that it was no getaway car so I don't feel the need to hustle it very often. If I am in a hurry, though there is an honest ton in it.
Ghostrider: the rust is not due to the lack of oil but the lack of paint. Oil rots the rubber bits and prevents leaks from being quickly diagnosed.Mud lets the rot in and wears the metal bits. The compromise is to waxoyl everything, even if the shell is galvanised. I finished off the engine bay with Armor all for the plastics and a spray of WD40 to ward off corrosion.