What to look for when shopping for a Xantia ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arnonf

What to look for when shopping for a Xantia ?

Post by arnonf »

Hi all,

I've found a '99 Xantia 1.8i 16v (no hydractive) that I'm thinking of buying. It hasn't been driven for the past five months. The car creaks and groans when climbing to the highest suspension state, but other than that, everything seems to be OK.

Are these creaks a sign that it should be avoided ? Or is this simply an issue of Citaerobics that need to be performed on the car for the first time ever ? (I doubt it if previous owner ever fiddled with the height control).

Also, rear right power window does not respond to both switches (driver's and passanger's), but it is not the motor. Is this a known issue ?

Thanks again,

Arnon
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If you are handy....your message suggests you are, and you have free time and resources for the Xantia then go for it. If you want a quiet life with hassle free motoring then go for a Toyota. I have seen many forums but never as busy as this one.
Also, if you are a bit masochistic and like unfinsihed things then buy a cit...they are great cars but do need the attention.
As for your comments; the rear windows are not normally a problem, you have operated them for the first time in years and blown a fuse. Clean the guides (Mr Sheen) and keep working them they will be OK. As far as the creaking you have answered the problem already. Lubricate the front struts.
remember these cars can squash you if the car is not supported when you work on the suspension!
Cheers!
John
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Regarding the electric windows, the rear one wouldnt work using the drivers control switch and the chap (small family dealer type business) hadnt bothered to look into it, took the switch out, gave it a good blow, dowsed it in wd-40 and generally gave it a wee clean and hey presto 4 months on its still fine
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The switches do sometimes go high resistance, try taking it out and squirting some WD 40 into it and then give it a good work out

Regarding the 'creaking' just check that its not coming from the rear suspension arms, as the bearings can break up, but only usually at a high mileage.

Dont pay very much for a petrol one, you could have trouble selling it.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Agreed,

Check where the suspension groans are coming from. If its from the rear suspension avoid it, unless you want to replace the rear suspension arm bearings (a reasonably big job I understand) however if the groans are coming from the front suspension struts its probably just a case of the struts desperately crying out to be lubricated :lol:

More importantly with the front struts, check from under the wheel arch that the strut rubbers are not about to give way, (cracking/shearing/distortion of the strut top rubber blocks) if so, walk away unless the seller wants to pay to replace them. (As happened when I bought mine)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
paulbx
My Cars:

XANTIA check list for buyer

Post by paulbx »

Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

Dont forget to make sure that there is a nice green patch under the car. (just so yoy have somthing to work on)

Sorry I couldnt resist :D
1998 Activa 85000 miles. coventry
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Don't pay too much – my 98 Xantia 1.8i was £600 from a sole trader with 12 months' MoT when I bought it last month. It needed a cambelt change and oil change, but apart from that it was ready to go with a full service history.

Since the general public don't want petrol Xantias, you don't have to pay much. The 1.8i isn't quick, but overall, it's a quiet and smooth motor.
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

ralph wrote:Don't pay too much – my 98 Xantia 1.8i was £600 from a sole trader with 12 months' MoT when I bought it last month. It needed a cambelt change and oil change, but apart from that it was ready to go with a full service history.

Since the general public don't want petrol Xantias, you don't have to pay much. The 1.8i isn't quick, but overall, it's a quiet and smooth motor.
Naturally it depends what country the original poster is in.....(since he didnt say)

As in the UK Citroen's seem to be dirt cheap and (possibly because of that) not very well regarded by the general public.

Here in New Zealand they hold their price well and are considered to be a slightly exotic european brand, if also slightly eccentric :) And while they are not a rare brand as such, they are somewhat uncommon here.

No way would you get any kind of usable Xantia here for the exchange rate equivilent of £600, you'd only get a wreck for parts, if you were lucky.

For example this year for a 1994 2.0i SX Auto in average to good condition you're looking at about $3500 (£1296) and my 1997 2.0i VSX (Hydractive 2) was $7000 (£2600 - admitedly in excellent overall condition)

You guys in the UK just don't know how lucky you are with Citroen prices over there.... :cry:

On the other hand we have much cheaper petrol and diesel :lol:

Also over here a diesel Citroen is considered a novelty, my mum managed to find one but its the only one I've seen.... they're nearly all petrols, and nearly all petrol Xantia's here seem to be automatics. (Alas)

So the value of cars seems to be very much a regional thing...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive