Lego dash layout explanation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

Lego dash layout explanation

Post by Linegeist »

Hi gents,
Having bought my Mk1 French BX GT, I'm now facing up to the rigours of running the thing (spent the weekend welding in a new front crossmember after bending it against the house support pillars courtesy of the runaway handbrake [:(][:(]) and, joy of joys, the Haynes manual arrived in the Boîte de lettre this morning! [:)][:)][:)]
Hmm, bit of a disappointment really. I was hoping - among other things - for a detailed explanation of what all the lights in the dash binnacle meant. I've got the early model with the wierd switchgear built up the side of the instrument housing ....... idiosyncratic but, hey! If you're going to do the French experience you might as well go for total immersion.........[:D][:D][:D]
Does anybody know of a downloadable diagram/handbook please? Alternatively, does anybody have a redundant handbook they'd be willing to swap for beer tokens? Pretty please, grovel, rolling on back with paws in the air...........[:p]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

We did have a handbook for one of these, but I've a nasty feeling it was left in the car when it was scrapped a couple of months ago [:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You'll find loads of info on this site :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

You'll find loads of info on this site :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thank you gentlemen. Unfortunately I found the website to which Ander's refers (thank you again Anders) and it doesn't contain the info I'm looking for. To my unintiated eye it looks like the flight deck of a light aircraft!!!![:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You're right -
No legend is found for the MkI (Lego) instrument lights on Gabor's BX-DIY site [:I]
You need in fact a copy of the BX owners instruction manual for any BX model up to '86.
Just surfed around the BXsites I know of - no one seems to have the legend for the MkI.
Haynes manuals don't care about these much needed details [:D]
I have an owners manual for the MkI BX - but my scanner is dodgy [:o)]
Anyone out there ??
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I can't help with a handbook. I did once find a site with a picture of the dash with everything labelled which I used as my windows desktop for a while but can't find it now.
It's pretty self explanatory though.
If there is anything you can't figure out then ask and I'll see what my dodgy memory can come up with.
For instance the 'eye' button tests the warning lights.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You sure you haven't snagged a "Digit" by any chance??
BTW, I just saw a posting on Gabors site from Catalin who is on this forum at times also where he says he had/s the same model car so if it is a straight leggo you may still be in with a chance.
Alan S
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks gents ....... looks like experiment time then. What a nice friendly place this is!
My BX is most Definitely NOT a digit Alan! I'd have run a mile from something THAT unusual!! Old fashioned, me. I like to be able to solder and weld, see my wiring and watch the needles flicker. This BX is as complex as I want to get, thanks very much. It's already demonstrated a degree of sentience with which I'm not entirely comfortable....[;)]
I've just retired from 20 years as a computer systems engineer - we didn't call the damned things "Haunted fishbowls" for nothing! Why d'you think I bought an older car without one fitted to it? [:D][:D][:p]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Assuming, that as you live in France, your French must be OK, check this French BX GT website http://membres.lycos.fr/citroenbx19gt/index1.htm which will probably help, everything is explained, even the notorious " ordinateur de bord" so called computer keypad!
The side nav link called "surprise" has scans of the Owners manual relating to the dashboard and warning lights.
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Assuming, that as you live in France, your French must be OK, check this French BX GT website http://membres.lycos.fr/citroenbx19gt/index1.htm which will probably help, everything is explained, even the notorious " ordinateur de bord" so called computer keypad!
The side nav link called "surprise" has scans of the Owners manual relating to the dashboard and warning lights.
Jon! You are a lifesaver!! Excellent stuff....thank you very much. Just what I needed - AND it's got another forum [:)][:)][:)]
Je suis oblige! [8D] Merci bien!!!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes the original dashboard pic posted looks as though it refers to an early 'TRS' version, although the lower spec versions were very similar, but without the led linear rev counter at the bottom.
The GT retained the PRN 'satellite' switches, but got conventional round dials for speedo, revs, etc.
Nick
Catalin
My Cars:

Post by Catalin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

You sure you haven't snagged a "Digit" by any chance??
BTW, I just saw a posting on Gabors site from Catalin who is on this forum at times also where he says he had/s the same model car so if it is a straight leggo you may still be in with a chance.
Alan S
Thx Alan S !
I still have the Gt - It has been with me since 1995 - as it cheaper to maintain it (even at 400.000kms driven at a really hard pace) rather than sell it for nothing and buying another car.
Indeed the Gt has the lego switchgear with the round dials from S2 Cx – same as Bx Sport.
In my opinion it's the best combination, as it gives the dash a really sporty look, especially with a dark-grey/black interior as in my car. The final touch is given, of course, by the Gt monogram on the ashtray !
Also, the green background light contribute to a very relaxing drive during the night.
Linegeist, check out the French Bx forum - http://bx.guilc.firstream.net/
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Linegeist - when in France (as you seem to be on a semi-permanent basis) - head for your local hypermarket or book emporium and try to find the "Revue Technique Automobile" manual for the BX 16/19 - you may well find some interesting stuff there. They also crop up on ebay.fr from time to time - in which case a Mk1 version would be a positive advantage if not too oil-stained...
Instrument functions are detailed in the "Conduite et Entretien" section - see the "tableau de bord" and "eclairage at signalisation" details. It also has the best guide I've seen to model specific differences, plenty of black-and-white photos, and has circuit diagrams where you can actually read the full colour/pin details of the interconnecters (unlike Haynes, who reproduced some of them abysmally). Could also be useful if you need to enlist local help from the terminology point of view (plus most of it can be translated pretty easily).
David
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks Chaps - much appreciated!
Catalin: Thank you for the link - most helpful, even I will now have to learn technical French! [:D]
DLM: Interesting. I'd never heard of the publication, so as I take the missus to her 2hr French lesson in St Germain en Laye Saturday morning, guess where I'll be headed? [:p][:p]
I have to say that, since the Haynes Manual arrived at the weekend, I've found more use for it as a doorstop than as a tech reference. I've a wee problem with the radiator fan not cutting in that developed after the argument with the house foundations last week [:0] and trying to work out the logic of the circuit using the haynes offering is like trying to eat ice cream with chopstick!! I don't think it's actually written for people with real spanners, is it?
Suffice to say I've wired in a manual override switch until I can figure out what goes where.........[:I][:o)][:)]
Catalin
My Cars:

Post by Catalin »

<b>Linegeist</b> you may find this document very useful http://www.citroen.as.ro/bxgt.pdf