cracked exhaust manifold!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johninderbyshire
My Cars:

cracked exhaust manifold!!!

Post by johninderbyshire »

Help! Felt quite a vibration through the car, so after 5 minutes of investigation, and the heat shield off, found a crack in one of the branches on the exhaust manifold. I don't think it is going to drop off, but it needs sorting. Should i get something to repair it, get it welded or get a new one. Also what could have caused it? Its a mark2 xsara on a 2001 plate. Should this of happened so early????
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is possible to weld an eaxhaust manifold. But I dont think you can get a warranty on the job :?
I'd rather try a breaker for a "new" manifold. Must be the same type used on lots other PSA models with same engine type. Find the engine type code plate on your engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I agree with Anders...change the manifold. I had the exact same problem on a Corsa. I suspect its just defective manufacturing...no warranty though...
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My old Marina Coupe fractured its manifold once. I welded it up- a complete waste of time, but then it was cast iron-whats a Xsara one made of? if its steel it should be an easy weld repair.
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Post by johninderbyshire »

its made of cast iron! What will eventually happen if it was left? I'm not going to leave it, going to sort it this week, just wondered what would happen? The car is out of manufactures warranty now anyway. I think i have just got a friday afternoon car as everything seems to be going wrong, and most of the things that have gone wrong are citroen only parts. :( Time to get rid early next year. Thanks for your help anyway.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect a second hand manifold will not cost much from a breaker and some will remove it for you. Fitting is will be a bit more difficult but it will have to be removed for welding anyway.

Welding of cast iron is not easy and may or may not work. I know my own attempts on a Mini manifold were unsuccessful using a MIG with CO2 gas. Pure argon may have been better. Bronze welding may work as the gas flame could be adjusted to reduce some of the carbon but a replacement is better.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As long as the manifold is in one piece still - nothing happens just to leave it as is. There will be the distinct noise and of course a risc of getting poison CO (-mono oxide !) in the cabin.
It would be a MOT failure too.

The engine will not be harmed in any way.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad welded up the manifold on his tractor and its been OK since. Actually, he brazed it first and that didn't last very long so it got welded, it's a rather old tractor (F reg on black plates) and parts for it aren't abundant.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The latest Frost catalogue came through the post today and this stuff was in it-http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8309 :idea:

I don't know how effective it is but at least its cheap!!! :)