xsara fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dingle
My Cars:

xsara fuel filter

Post by dingle »

I am trying to change the filter on my xsara 1.9td R reg. Thought it would be straightforward but the new filter from GSF is completely different from the old one. Old one is a delphi with filter itself in a black plastic container (one piece), whereas the new one is a purflux c422, a metal top and paper filter. The purflux will not fit. The guy at GSF said it was an updated version and they dont do anything else. What am I doing wrong? I think I would have to really push that purflux in and dont want to stress the screws on the filter housing.
dingle
My Cars:

Post by dingle »

I am really silly. It was the o ring from the old filter that was stopping the perfect fit. I just presumed it was meant to be there. Alls well and I live and learn.
I changed the coolant (followed posts on bleeding carefully etc) and air/fuel filters today -- my first time at this. I took a spin after and all seems to sound a lot better.
One thing worried me though - when after bleeding I was running the engine with the header tank (a good three quarters filled) and waiting for the fan to kick in, there was quite a bit of smoke/mist from the rad, and I got a few big bubbles pop up in the header, but then no more, and then when the fan did kick in (about 90 on the temp gauge) the smoke/mist from the rad cleared. Was that just a bit of spillage burning off? Were those few big bubbles the remaining air being expelled? I took it for a short 15 min spin and all sounds a lot better. Will take it for a bit of a longer run tomorrow.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Yep, it would be spillage. Also, if you didn't clamp off the overflow pipe at the top of the expansion tank, that would have been leaking too.
As long as you followed all the tips posted on here (using a header tank, squeezing top hose to expel any air) you should be sorted.
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.