LEAK SOLVED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

LEAK SOLVED

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi, Sorted out where the lake was coming from in the footwell of my car it was the bond between the scuttle panel and windsreen had gone..THANK GOD IT WAS NOT THE MATRIX !!!
Took all seats, carpets foam soundproofing and will let them dry out for a few days. Another little problem i have found is when the heater is on windscreen setting 1 of the fans come on at the front of the car, are the 2 supposed to come on, i looked at the electrical compartment in between both large fans and everything looks ok, checked both relays on the fan that was working and they were ok, at the same time that the fan is on i get a STOP light and the temperature light also flashed in sequence with the stop light only when heater setting is on windscreen.
Any ideas are both fans suppose to operate when heater is on the window setting ?
if both are suppose to be on any ideas why only 1 fan is operating, or is THAT NORMAL..?
Finally for now any particular sealent needed for rebonding the scuttle panel back to the windscreen...thanks Colin
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mate, I hope that Xantia was CHEAP!!!..

You should really use the proper windscreen sealant to stick the scuttle panel back on, but decent silicone should do it (the sutff that costs nearly £10 a tube, not £1.99!).

Both fans should come on together, always. On the demist setting the car is probably switching the A/C on, which should start both fans on low speed. The reason you are getting the stop and over temp lights flashing is a fault indication that one of the fans is not running. If you have checked the relays and are getting power out to the fan, then the fan itself is U/S. AlanS rebuilt the fans on his - there's a post somewhere. Getting the fan out to rebuild it, well, get your swear box ready...
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard
its not the screen that leaks it is just water beeing able to get in the wrong side of the plastic scuttle,so is not beeing aimed into the aera where it can drain away through the bulkhead drain tubes,the screen is bonded directly onto the screen frame,so most silicon sealers should be fine
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Can you work out if the one fan is on at the high speed, or the low one ?
If it's on at the high speed, chances are that neither ever spins at the low speed, because one would be open.

Here is the map:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17012
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Fans

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi , as you look straight on at the front of the car the left hand fan runs very quick but the right hand fan does not operate at all. the 2 relays seem to be ok but underneath where there should be a 3rd relay ( switching ) there is none what the old owner has done is bridged the relay with a link wire...obvoiusly he had a reason for this....more ideas please...Colin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

What the map calls 'left fan' is to the left as seen from the driver's seat, so it's on the right as you look from the front of the car, the one that doesn't spin.
The relays are probably all 3 the same, with 5 pins.
At the low speed, the 'right fan relay' does nothing.
You can pull it out, and put it in place of the 'change-over relay' after having removed the bridging link.
That will give you an idea of what the initial fault is.
To test the faulty fan, remove both relays you do have, and bridge between pins 3 and 5 on the 'left fan relay' socket, and also pins 3 and 5 on the 'change-over relay' socket.
That should work even with the engine turned off.
If you bridge all 3 sockets like that, all 3 fans should spin at the high speed, even with the engine turned off.
Use pieces of good, thick wire, and not for too long, because a thin wire will melt in your hands. :shock:
Last edited by Clogzz on 06 Dec 2005, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

tired

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Ignore my last post, tired from being on nights last night, it is the right hand relay that is bridge ( linked) not the swithching relay and just checked the left hand fan is running very quick
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

FANS

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Right the latest, put both good relays into the right and left fan relay sockets, both fans are now working on a slow speed with the heater on full on windsreen setting...however i have no relay situated in the switching relay socket ( bottom socket ) will i need to get a new relay for the switching socket or can i bridge it...thanks
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

I was adding to my story above as you were writing.
You can bridge the middle relay for now between pins 3 and 4, and maybe get another relay later for summer, if the high speed is required, something I've never had, even by 37ºC heat.
If everything is normal, both fans should work at the low speed with a bridge between 3 and 4 of the middle relay.
You should also be able to remove the 'right fan relay', and put it in the middle, and the slow speed still should operate normally.

It's night here now, going to sleep. Catch you tomorrow.