xantia rear suspension(94 TD Dimension)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

xantia rear suspension(94 TD Dimension)

Post by jcdel »

I have posted already on this subject but for health reasons.(I'm a Xantia in human form),I haven't been able to follow advice from members.
I have just noticed today that overnight the car sits reasonably level but when I start up,the rear drops immediately to it's stops then slowly rises to height setting.(looks a tad high tho').This is the one that needs a lowering plate to level the caravan towing height.Ride is hard and uncomfortable.The car responds to control lever in high/intermediate and low altho' a distinct "clunk" can be heard from the O/S/R when rising.Have other members managed to set the rear height without the so called "special Citroen tool".I am anticipating changing all the spheres as there is no record of replacement in the service history.Alternativately I'll just get another "cheapie". :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The clunk is likely to be from worn rear arm bearings. I'd check that before anything else, as it may be at the root of your problem.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Wot special tool are you referring to ?

I'm with dnsey here. Root of the problem is dead sure the rear suspension arm bearings knackered. A very common wear problem on Citroens.
The job is simple, parts available at reasonable cost. Needs a good selection of standard tools though.
You wont find a cheapie in any better shape for the cost of the repair.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

In agreement also, common failure....but one cheap thing to check...the state of the spare tyre in terms of secureness or if its loose as that contributes a lot of knocking on the zx which my mum now has
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:Wot special tool are you referring to ?
In the actual Citroen manuals there is not one, but three "special" tools for adjusting the height :roll:

One is an L shaped bar which grips the manual override linkage so you can activate it easily from under the car (unnecessary) to make manual adjustments while the rollbar clamp is slack, the second is a pin that is inserted in the sliding spring arm section to lock the height corrector in place while you tighten the rollbar clamp, (also unnecessary) and the third is a strange hook device which goes up and around the whole mechanism which holds the manual override peg in the middle of the gap while setting the manaul override clamp position. (Also unnecessary, as you can do it visually....)

I guess those tools would make it possible for any moron, err, I mean mechanic to do the job, not just those with a bit of skill... :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: xantia rear suspension(94 TD Dimension)

Post by Mandrake »

jcdel wrote:I have posted already on this subject but for health reasons.(I'm a Xantia in human form),I haven't been able to follow advice from members.
I have just noticed today that overnight the car sits reasonably level but when I start up,the rear drops immediately to it's stops then slowly rises to height setting.(looks a tad high tho').This is the one that needs a lowering plate to level the caravan towing height.Ride is hard and uncomfortable.The car responds to control lever in high/intermediate and low altho' a distinct "clunk" can be heard from the O/S/R when rising.Have other members managed to set the rear height without the so called "special Citroen tool".I am anticipating changing all the spheres as there is no record of replacement in the service history.Alternativately I'll just get another "cheapie". :(
The front height is a b*****d to set, but only because the height corrector is in such an impossibly difficult place to get at without a four post hoist. The rear height is much easier though, and can be done with a little bit of ingenuity by removing the spare wheel carrier and driving the back up onto ramps.

The basic procedure is to slacken the clamp near the middle of the rollbar, adjust the height of the car by some other means (for example nudging the manual height lever, or putting in/removing some weight from the boot) until it is at the desired height, then retightening the rollbar, then rechecking the height.

In practice its a bit more fiddly than this as you often find after rechecking the height its not quite right so it can take 2 or 3 attempts. Check the height when it makes a downwards correction (after weight has been removed) and and upwards correction, and take the average of the two. If the height corrector is healthy the two heights shouldn't be any more than 10mm apart.

PS make completely sure that there is enough room below the car where you're working not to get squashed with the suspension RIGHT DOWN, as you don't want to be turned into a pancake :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

All suggestions greatly appreciated.Haynes suggest Citroen for adjustment due to special tools but other than ensuring safety I can't see a problem as you all agree.And yes the bearing has gone - bugger!