Xantia radiator leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Xantia radiator leak

Post by rpaco »

Can anyone advise if it's ok to use a proprietry (and if so which is best) leak sealing fluid in a Xantia 1.9TD wiht aircon. And if so do I ref fill the rad wiht water plus antifreeze and does the antifreeze have an effect on teh way the sealing fluid works?

I have a leak in the bottom inch of the inside of the rad.

OR is it best to get a new rad? (And if so any tips please)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

In my experience rad sealers do not work as modern engines have a pressurised system. If you do buy a sealer ensure you follow the instructions to the letter...ie, flushing out all anti freeze. I would buy a new rad if keeping the car or buy from a scrappy. A new rad is about £75 and is easy to fit.
Remember to bleed the system thoroughly with the vent valve on the hose located on top of the engine.
Cheers!
John
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

OK thank,s but haven't they always been pressurised?

GSF price is £90 so I will try the gloop first!

Please tell me about bleeding the water system because I never have so far when I have topped up the water. Is that the valve on a T junction of 3 small dia (12-15mm approx) hoses?

cheers
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

rpaco wrote:Please tell me about bleeding the water system because I never have so far when I have topped up the water. Is that the valve on a T junction of 3 small dia (12-15mm approx) hoses?
There is a vent valve higher up than the T-junction, on the top heater hose, and that's the important one.
Look through all of this thread for ideas:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16586

The simplest way, as I always do, is to open the top valve on the heater hose, fill with coolant with engine stopped until the header tank is full.
Next, start the engine, and close the valve when the fluid comes out.
Then top up the header tank.
After a drive the level in the header tank will have dropped, and you top up again.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Ok thanks I will look for that when it's light again tomorrow.

I put in a can of Holts RadWeld and it seems to have stopped the leak. Have driven about 40 miles on it so far and seems ok. Have now passed MOT test with 4 new tyres and a new bulb plus lots of contact cleaning.

However I now have no antifreeze in it. So where is the best point to drain some water out of the system on th Xantia? I cant see where the bottom hose goes in to the radiator at all from inside the engine bay and I doubt that there is a drain valve.

(1998 Xantia 1.9TD with aircon)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

No they have not allways been pressurised, some systems did not even have a water pump and relied on thermal exchange. Mind you it was some time ago!
Cheers!
John
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

As a follow on comment I would add that should your rad go bang the end bill could be more expensive in the long run (scuse the pun) but best of luck.
Cheers!
John
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When I bought the Xantia their seemed to be a leak but couldnt really confirm it and since time was short before having to drive to Cornwall and back i decided it would just be best to buy a new one from GSF, £110 inc the coolant is fine in my opinion if it gives you the guarantee for a couple of years before you have to flush it out which isnt a big task.....good job too since it was really really ganked up....could have been flushed out like but i have piece of mind since i do 40,000 a year.

Get the wallet out and buy a new one
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Using radiator sealant can block your heater matrix, you can usually flush it out though.

JohnT, Thermo syphon cooling systems? you must be as old as me!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

rpaco wrote: However I now have no antifreeze in it. So where is the best point to drain some water out of the system on the Xantia? I can't see where the bottom hose goes into the radiator at all from inside the engine bay and I doubt that there is a drain valve.
Looks to me like you're going to risk it with the patched-up radiator.
It may pay off for while it's winter.
You can't just drain 'some water' and add glycol to the header tank, it won't be able to mix with the water in the block and radiator like that.
As you're standing in front of the car, look down under the bonnet behind the radiator, to see the drain tap at the bottom right.
Open the drain tap and remove the header tank cap to let the air in, and drain plenty or all of the water.
Then close the tap and refill with some water into the header tank.
Next, you add the glycol that will then mix with the water already in, and keep filling with water until the tank is full.
Last is to bleed the air out, as described in posts above.
Depending on where you live in the UK, tap water may be full of lime.
Normally you would need to use demineralised water.

Related stories:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=4251

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=8275
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If you decide to try a liquid sealant, then I recommend "Fortes" I have used it a couple of times with complete success.. Costs about £11 I think.. Just shake the tin well, pour it in the rad and drive off... :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

When the rad went on my old Xant, I picked one up from the breakers for £25.00 - looked almost new, and they gave a guarantee on it. Lasted for 3 yrs and 40 000 miles until I sold the car.