ZX - water retention

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

ZX - water retention

Post by RichardW »

I'm in the process of changing the rear subframe mounts on the ZX. Took the boot carpet out and noticed the back off side corner was a bit damp. On investigation there is a 'pocket' in the metal work behind the light cluster, and this is full of water :cry:

The water looks pretty clean and not rusty, so my guess is that it is coming in via the light cluster. Anybody seen this before? Anybody know how to get the light cluster off - the outer lens comes off easy from the outside - I imagine there are some bolts on the inside to get the cluster off?

All I've got to do now is work out how to get the water out :twisted:
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

May be clips - BX is held in with clips on the unit.

Your leak may be due to a small dent or a twisted seal.

Can you get the water out with a sponge?
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If all else fails, try drilling a small hole to let the water out. It works well on all car doors. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I took the trim panel out of the boot and the light cluster, but can't see where the water came from. Tried it with a watering can, but couldn't get any more to leak in. So I removed the bumper and drilled some drain holes to let it out (as per your suggestion, James, but I'd already been there!).

Looks like the back corners of the wheel arches are going to need the attention of the MIG next spring though...
Richard W
vonnig

Post by vonnig »

Richard, from what i have experienced with leaks in my ZX it sounds like you have a similar problem as i do. I haven't really paid much attention to it though, as the water coming in was very little although if ignored during the rainy season could flood the boot.

Basically, i've torn apart the entire boot to trace the leak and found it one day. It's coming from the portion of the boot just above the rear lamp where the rubber seal is. Now, how do i explain this. There's a joining of the plastic there. So after some time, it tends to lift the rubber seal off and so the water just flows right in. Spraying water only sometimes causes water to get in. I'll take a photo at the next opportunity and post it for you to see where it's getting in. Hope my explanation didn't confuse you.