Stop car ramps from slipping

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Stop car ramps from slipping

Post by Jon »

Using a piece of an old seat belt on the ramps so that the ramp won't slip out from under the car when it's being put on it.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/webingonramp.jpg
Courtesy AlanS / Aussiefrogs
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

A very good idea, thanks
Tony
Vampire
My Cars:

Post by Vampire »

This idea is excellent my partner uses an old piece of carpet cut in to a strip and wrapped around the bottom pun of the ramp them just drive onto the carpet then the ramp it is therfore not possible for the ramps to move.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Where i used to live,our private car park was tarmac`d.When i used to use the ramps,i`d line them up,then hit a couple of 4" nails in the ground at the rear of the ramps,only an inch in.They never sliped then.No good for concreat though.
trikesman
My Cars:

Post by trikesman »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Using a piece of an old seat belt on the ramps so that the ramp won't slip out from under the car when it's being put on it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Folks,
I always put my ramps on top of a pair of old rubber floor mats. Works a treat.
Regards,
Steve[8D]
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Ramp users:
I always decorate my ramps with old yogurt cartons and sticky back plastic. They slide all over the place but they look marvellous.
Another top tip for those of you that don't have air conditioning: Wedgde frozen chips in the face level grilles and set blower to position II. Depending on the ambient temperature the effect can last for up to 7 minutes 32 seconds.
rogue
My Cars:

Post by rogue »

COOL MAN
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thats a great idea. I have had trouble with slipping ramps before but every time it happens I dont bother to do anything about it; I just think "oh it wont happen this time....". Think ill use this strategy from now on! Also, a funny thing happend with my car ramps. I got these ramps free and the ends that stop the car driving off the edge were flatened, so, I did just that, I drove straigt up and over the edge but I was lucky enough to be in a BX set to maximum height so no impact occured.
VTS

Post by VTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good idea!
kyle_k

Post by kyle_k »

Have any of you guys ever had a bad accident with a car slipping?
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

kyle_k wrote:Have any of you guys ever had a bad accident with a car slipping?
Only on ice!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I remember being under a 1959 Daimler Majestic (huge thing with a 3.8 engine) working on the exhaust with the thing on wheel ramps and hearing 'pinging' noises. Wondered what they were - then suddenly realised the welds on the ramps were breaking off! I've seldom moved quicker!
jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yes, I've had the car ( Xantia TD ) not able to get up on the ramps - dodgy clutch.

Put a little more gas on, the clutch started to smoke a little, then it bit !

The car shot over the ramps and ended up like a see-saw, balancing with both ramps half way along the sills.

Took some serious thought as to how to best get the car off.

In the end, I put the handbrake on ( no use in the air ), raised the suspension, then used a trolley jack on some stacked slabs to raise each side of the car enough to get a ramp out.

Then there was the time I did the front brake pads - and forgot about the handbrake adjustment. When I put the car down, it rolled down the hill and was within 1m of being in next doors garden !
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Ramp users:
I always decorate my ramps with old yogurt cartons and sticky back plastic. They slide all over the place but they look marvellous.
Another top tip for those of you that don't have air conditioning: Wedgde frozen chips in the face level grilles and set blower to position II. Depending on the ambient temperature the effect can last for up to 7 minutes 32 seconds.
What a great idea! Another one is to use your fingers to damp the impact of a club hammer on track rod ends... I can attest that this actually works very well indeed.
Happy Crimbo to all! 8)
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I always lift the car with a trolley jack and put the ramps under the wheels one side at a time ever since I drove my Vauxhall cavalier Mk2 up and over the ramps. (they are so light).

I then place a piece of 4X2 about a foot long behind the wheel end up going down through the ramps chocking the back wheels does help a lot though.

chips in the heater grills....................lol...!!!
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.