scoop pros and cons

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stubbsy

scoop pros and cons

Post by stubbsy »

thinking of maybe putting a bonnet scoop on to the zx genuinly get some more air into the intercoooler.would it be of much benifit? has anyone done this mod?,if so which would be the best one to use (the smallest) or would it be a complete waste of time and make me look like a tacky boy racer?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have one fitted to my BX TD, its got to help the efficiency, I went for an impretza copy which is almost as wide as the intercooler, it doesnt look too bad at all, quite unobtrusive really, and I am actually too old to be a boy racer.
Stewart
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

yeh me too[8D] i really just want to get some more cool air in as im running 18 psi and she can get on the hot side sometimes,and i couldnt be assed doin the frontmounted xantia set up.although i have been my local scrappy is only looking £50 for everything that i need,m/fold/pipes,i/cooler etc which i think is a good price but couldnt be assed with the hassle.[:(]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Thats a bit dear, you need to find a friendlier scrappy! I am currently running 15psi and thats rather livelier than the stock 13 I used to get, I dont have any problems with cooling at all, the fans come on at 90degrees and thats about it, stop start traffic is the hottest though it can get up there if I cane it through the mountains for a bit.
Stewart
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

I'm running 1.5bar (21psi) on mine and really should think about a front mounted i/c or maybe just reduce the boost back down to about 15psi or so, certainly does feel a bit dead in the warmer months but in winter it goes like stink!
robsons

Post by robsons »

What's involved with fitting front mounted IC and what parts do you need? Also interested in how well the std rad will cope being blasted by hot air instead of cold. I'm going to up the boost this weekend and was considering adding temp sensors to the IC at the inlet and outlet ports to assess air temp under load. Anyone know of any suitable?
Stoo
TD Volcane and Activa - soon to be sold :(
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Pros:
You get a bit more cool air to the intercooler - which is nice,
Cons:
Big ones look pants and spoil the lines of your bonnet - but each to his own.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

A question I have,
Why do you need a bonnet vent/scoop when you already scoop cold air from the grille area to the intercooler via ducting under the bonnet.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

A question I have,
Why do you need a bonnet vent/scoop when you already scoop cold air from the grille area to the intercooler via ducting under the bonnet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'd imagine a bonnet scoop would increase the pressure over the intercooler a bit.
But surely to improve things a lot, the air would need to have somewhere to go afterwards? In which case, a front mount is much better.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

As you say, the air would have to go somewhere. But with a front mounted IC would'nt the hot air reheat the rad further gaining nothing and cause more heating worries and also give as they say "Turbo lag".
Some front mounted IC I've seen are side mounted on thier own, which I thought would be alot better, but the ZX has not the room under the wheel arch.
Has anyone tried any of these front mounted IC or bonnet mounted scoops and put their hands on their heart and say they really work to warrant the hassel to fit them ???????
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

As you say, the air would have to go somewhere. But with a front mounted IC would'nt the hot air reheat the rad further gaining nothing and cause more heating worries and also give as they say "Turbo lag".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wasn't meant to be a critisicm of your viewpoint... Its just that whenever I look at the (beatifully clean [8D]) engine of my ZX, I wonder about the airflow AFTER the air hits the intercooler.
The air coming off an intercooler (maybe 60C maximum?) should be enough to keep the radiator temperature OK. The radiator is bigger as well, so should get some fresh air of its own. Usually, bigger (or extra) fans are fitted to TD engines anyway.