Tyres and France

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Tyres and France

Post by Jon »

Was reading on the Caravan Club Forum (!!!) about a guy who got a puncture in France, and needed a new tyre. He was told that by law in France tyre makes must NOT be mixed on the same axle, in fact some places insist you have the same make on each corner. He had to buy a pair of Michelins so that he could continue on his way! His problems did not end there, the tyre place even made him bolt the wheels back on his car as he still had other makes at the front of the car!
Guy seemed to think that the above was the law, but went on to mention that Michelin may have been behind the legislation.
Can anyone confirm this? I wonder whether we'd be introduced to something similar under EU regs?
[?]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I am sceptical, Jon. This could be a it of black propaganda, a misunderstanding in the translation or a dodgy garage where they didn't like Brits. I would like to see this confirmed if it can be, having a vested interest, so to speak. BTW tyres in France are not appreciably cheaper than in the UK it appears.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Very possible Tom.
I was just trying to find the article again on that Forum, but theres no search facility, so I can't find it just now. If I do, I'll post the link.
The guy had a Volvo with Dunlops on. One front tyre was punctured beyond repair. The garage only had Michelin in stock in the correct size, but refused to fit just one as "mixed tyre makes were illegal on the same axle".
It does beg the question, whether this "law" would be differentif the person in question was not "Anglais" towing a carvan with a Volvo!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ok, found it, it was on the Practical Caravan Forum! (what an interesting life I lead [:D])
I've pasted it below.
<font color="blue">Speaking from experience of the weird tyre laws in france I can vouch for the fact that it is true that to be legal, the tyres on an axle do have to be of the same make and type. Last year we had a puncture on our volvo which damaged the tyre. The tyre was a Dunlop which is impossible to obtain in France. The only way the garage would let me continue was to purchase 2 tyres of the same make and type for the front axle and to sign a disclaimer because the tyres on the front axle didn't match the rear axle. I even had to place the wheel on the axles myself so that the garage could not be accused of putting the "illegal" tyres onto the car. The tyres incidentally cost me £90 each but what choice did I have? The answer is to travelwith Michelin which are cheap and easily obtained in France. Who was responsible for the Tyre Laws being passed in France? None other that the Director of Michelin himself.(don't get a puncture)</font id="blue">
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I wonder why this guy didn't use his spare - maybe all he had was a 'space-saver'. Further to French tyre laws - it's illegal (in France) to have tyres fitted to either car or trailer with a speed rating lower than that required for the maximum speed limit. (81mph)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Further to this - it's worth mentioning that in July 2001, Michelin was taken before the EU Commissioners and fined 19.76 million Euros for operating a rebate and bonus system with their agents which in the Commision's view had the effect of excluding competion in the French tyre market. Since it's their second fine, maybe they're still at it.