BX: will 88 1.4 share engine and gearbox oils?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX: will 88 1.4 share engine and gearbox oils?

Post by czenda »

Hi, the above mentioned BX is available to me for peanuts. I am thinking of trying it for improved fuel economy (guess I am still spoilt by the consumption of the other 999 ccm car, judging my 1.6 BX as a gas-glutton).
Questions:
a)How is 1.4 Bosch Mono Jetronic engine fuel consumption compared to 1.6, 55 kW carburettor?
b)I am not sure about how to distinguish the earlier 1.4 (shared oil) model from the later one (separated engine/gearbox oil). 88 seems to be the year the unspeakables switched to standard engine/gearbox separation, but how do I tell the two engines apart?
I never saw 1.4 engine, only in BOL, which did not clarify the issue at all. My BX is 1.6, which IMHO does not clarify the thing at all.
Any hints?
Thanx.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The difference is dead easy to spot... the earlier engine is laid almost flat in the engine bay, whereas the later engine is very definitely upright. An 88 1.4 will be carburettor, not injection, but should do around 40 mpg (as long as you don't drive it hard all the time!)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes -
During production year '88 the BX14 got a completely new engine type - basically the type K1G (carburettor) in the TU3 build series. This is the same engine that was introduced in the AX when this took over the Visa model. This later 1.4L engine (1.36L) has the common layout with the gearbox to the side (end) of engine block. It looks VERY much like your 1.6 layout - just a bit smaller.
The old type 1.4 engine (type 150) is wellknown from the Visa & Peug205 models. As Richard writes this engine is literally laying down on its flat side in the engine bay. Besides there is no visible gearbox. The gearbox is in fact the sump.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Thank you very much.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The old engine doesn't have a gearbox on the end- instead there is a sort of sausage shaped transfer gear housing, whereas the new engine has a normal looking gearbox sticking out, and a normal looking plastic cambelt cover!!
If its the older type It will probably sound very rattly as its an awkward engine to work on-it still had screw adjustable tappets, and they are hard to get to as the engine is virtually lying flat.The rocker cover is jammed up against the bulkhead so they don't tend to get done!! Its not particularly economical either as its such an ancient design-I think it came from the Talbot Samba, or something like that.