Noisey 306dturbo engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philbar
My Cars:

Noisey 306dturbo engine

Post by philbar »

hiya, i own a 1995 306dturbo only mod is a k&n induction kit, it has only covered 53 k and yesterday started making a strange noise, i know having the k&n makes the engine boomy.. but yesterday it sounded like something loose and its more noticeable from inside the car rather than outside.. as it isnt the quietest of engines well compared to the petrol engines i've been used to.. i know its not easy to say or even have a clue of what it could be.. but any ideas would be welcome.. its regularly serviced, using elf oil and o.e filters,the sound seems to be coming from the cambelt end of the engine but difficult to say.. at first i thought it maybe the fuel pump??would this make a noise???the car seems to be performing as normal so i dont think its anything too serious(hopefully?[xx(])...
maybe the turbo?? i dont know really got me beat i looked at the car tonight and am stumped really.. so anything would be useful..
thanks
Phil
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Help us out a bit then Phil, what type of noise, whine, whistle, squeek, rattle, grinding, scraping etc.
Is it engine speed related, is it there all the time, hot or cold.
Dave
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

...the noise seems to be at tick over more as when your driving it is lost with the road noise and sound of the normal engine sounds.. its sounds like a slight metallic rubbing sound.. reminds me of the old pinto engines when the camshafts were running dry of oil, the pugs oil level is fine and only had an oil change 3000 mile ago so i have ruled that out(or can i???[B)]).. its only very slight but i can hear it more inside sounds strange i know, but ive checked for any holes into the cabin, maybe a grommit gone missing or sommat but cant see anything... i am beginning to develop a real phobia against modern cars.. am going to put it up on the ramps this morning and see if i can see anything untoward underneath and at back of the engine... will keep you posted...
Phil[:o)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Phil, get the timing cover off and check the water pump for play, if the bearings are going down the impeller can rub against the inside of the block, by this stage there is usualy a leak though, but not allways.
Vacuum pump for (if belt driven) the brakes could be going dry, alternator or its belt tensioner could also be drying up.
Try removing the auxiliary drive belt and see if it stops, if the vacuum pump is belt driven try that one too.
Dave
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

Thanks Dave,I'll give it a go, I was under the car on ramps (all very secure and all that), and couldnt see anything odd, although when i was under it when it was running i noticed the noise was more from the cambelt end of the engine underneath , so i suppose this rules out any probs with the top end of the engine which i was getting worried about and especially the fuel pump.... i did notice the belt is very tight, and getting ready to be replaced are these supposed to be tight tight or with some amount of slack?
Thanks again... keep you posted...
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Cambelt end and low down, sounding like water pump area, treat inspection of it with some urgency because the pump is driven by the timing belt, don't need to tell you what to expect if it rides off the pulley.
I wouldn't say timing belts should be tight but then it depends on what you class as tight, but the last thing you want is any slack in them.
Dave
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

Spent last night stripping down end of engine and found the water pump to be not badly worn but feels "rough" when you spin it by hand, I've ordered a new one and hopefully this will cure the noise as it is getting worse... will let you know more once the part arrives and its fitted...
Thanks Dave for the advice, I wouldnt have thought of that.. cheers mate[:)]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Worth changing the belts at the same time, and give the general area a degrease.
Mat.
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

hi a quick update...changed the water pump,cam belt, and vee belt de greased all the engine at same time, but the effing thing is still making a noise.. and now the exhaust has gone..[:(!] i have noticed now that if i put the car in full steering lock either side it goes off and as soon as you let the s/wheel return off the max lock it comes back, the pas fluid level is ok, the rack responds ok, and it has no leaks in[xx(]also what else i have noticed is i can for the first time slightly hear the turbo start to whistle whilst driving never been able to hear this before[?] so as you can tell i am now more perplexed than before... ..anyways..anymore suggestions would be grateful... thanks
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thats a bummer, still its not all been a waste at least you have got shut of a dodgy water pump and got new belts on.
What to try next[?] sprinkle talcum powder or the like on the alternator drive belt while the engine is running, if that doesn't make any difference take the belt off and run the engine.
If that stops it you have got the belt tensioner, alternator and steering pump to consider, but just because the noise stops with the pump on maximum load doesn't necessarily mean its the culprit but its a good place to start looking.
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Erm, just a thought, but is it likely to be something to do with the power steering, maybe not the pump, but presumably there are valves and returns in the system somewhere ?
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

another update[xx(]..found the culprit, the elusive little f****r [:(!][:(!][:(!]... its the bottom pulley.. am not able to tighten it up fully.. and the bottom pulley is loose even after tightening the bolt up to torque... and above the specified torque.... does anyone know of the great cumulatives minds of this forum if its advisable to cut 1/4 inch off the bolt to maybe help the bolt tighten down more?[?]... i know the bolt is supposed to have loctite on it..but on a dry build up it still wont tighten.. and when engine is ticking over the bottom pulley flails around.. rubbing the timing belt cover...git!!![:(!] so any more advice ??? please
yes yes i know i am a pain...[:I]
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

Quick update, went to local hardware shop and bought new bolt, in stainless[8D] but 1/4 inch shorter, and its given no problem after nearly 500 miles.. so hopefully i have stopped this happening anymore[xx(].. <font size="5"><font color="red"><b><b>thanks</b></b></font id="red"></font id="size5"> for all the help in this...[:D]