C3 1.6HDI Blue 2015 Diesel additiv pump communication error

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sjenja

C3 1.6HDI Blue 2015 Diesel additiv pump communication error

Post by sjenja »

I got a Citroen C3 1.6HDI 100 Blue 2015

So a long story short, a while ago I got a problem with communicating with the additive pump (U011887) and some more "P" error code. So i bought a used replacement additive tank, changed it over, coded it with lexia and diabox, all went well problem solved.

Now half a year later I get the same problem, but now also i get (U011887 Multiplexed additive pump) (P143500 Multiplexed additive pump) (U140008 Alternator Lin Network) in the ECU and F017 no communicating with the diesel additive pump , F5FF Unexpected re-initialization fault in the BSI. So I get another additive tank this time new, replace the old one and try to code it with lexia, but to no avail. The fault persists and the tank pump is not pumping after initialization. Naturally I try to scope the LIN bus of the additive pumps, all seems fine I can se different packages on the bus, the additive pump connector is also ok, receiving ground, LIN onewire and battery voltage. I do the same on the onewire alternator LIN connector, the same here, LIN bus seems to be working.

So now my questions are, can the fault be with the BSI unit? how would I test this ? Can I get a used replacement BSI and just swap the EPROM´s ( I do electronics repair in spare time ). Can it be the ECU ?

Any input would be much appreciated at this time !!

Thanks in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C3 1.6HDI Blue 2015 Diesel additiv pump communication error

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you have the VIN of the vehicle so I can determine the actual fault codes as they relate to your specific vehicle (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).

It is essential that when you replaced the additive pump that it was the exact correct part as some of the additive tanks are multiplexed and some are not.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
sjenja

Post by sjenja »

Sure, VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], part number for the additive tank: 9815713180.
sjenja

Post by sjenja »

I am trying to find a wiring diagram for the additive tank pump, and where in the BSI it connect but, I can only find wiring diagram for the 2013 model.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That was the original tank part number, but has since been replaced with another version - and your vehicle is being flagged up with an after-sales campaign notification, so I would give the Citroen Dealer a call and quote your VIN - they will be able to tell you what the work involves, but will be free of charge.

Some of your fault codes are not coming up and the F017 is an absence of communication with the diesel additive pump: Not characterised fault.
Fault Code: U0118 87
Description of Fault: Multiplexed additive pump: CAN fault or multiplexed additive pump fault. Fault: additive ECU communications
Possibility 1
Fault in the multiplexed additive pump
Possibility 2
Fault in communication between the BSI and additive pump.
The time of appearance of the fault code is 6 seconds.

At least one of the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- Ignition on
- Engine running
Conditions for Fault to clear: Driving for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Inhibiting of starting of the forced particle emission filter regeneration by after sales
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Malfunction of the Stop and Start switch or its LED
  • Starting problem
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
Suspect Areas:
  • Multiplexed additive pump
  • Fuel additive circuit
  • Additive injector
  • Electrical harness
  • Fuse
Click to zoom Image
Particle Filter Additive Pump DV6FD Engine Edited_page_001.jpg

Marc
sjenja

Post by sjenja »

Do you know if this recall also apply in Denmark where I am located ? I will give them a call.
sjenja

Post by sjenja »

Gave them a call, they said no recall or sales-campaign, they told me 1.342 euro for the repair, absolutely crazy. So I guess I have to DIY it. The wiring diagram, its hard to tell but is there another sensor on the same LIN bus as the pump? Maybe the Additive injector ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

sjenja wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 11:07 Do you know if this recall also apply in Denmark where I am located ? I will give them a call.
It's the same regardless of where you are in the world. You should tell them to check Citroen Service - I've just checked again and it is still being flagged. (I have masked out your VIN apart from the last 3):
recall a.PNG

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

sjenja wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 11:26 Gave them a call, they said no recall or sales-campaign, they told me 1.342 euro for the repair, absolutely crazy. So I guess I have to DIY it. The wiring diagram, its hard to tell but is there another sensor on the same LIN bus as the pump? Maybe the Additive injector ?
No, there is the additive tank and the pump. The engine ECU sends the requests to the pump when conditions are correct. The injection pressure of the additive is fixed by an injection valve calibrated to 0,230 ± 0,05 bar (Relative pressure).

Marc
sjenja

Post by sjenja »

Update: I was tracing the error again yesterday and found the fault. So originally I tested the connector signals and power by inserting my testpoint behind the plug. As the male plug was inserted into the pump female connector all signals were there no problem, the plug and the connector looked well and the contact point looked good no corrosion. Yesterday I took out the pump electronics the "White part of the tank where the pump and electronics are housed".Image and tested the signals on the LIN translator IC directly on the PCB, I noticed no power signal. So I traced the fault back to the plug itself not making good contact with the additive tanks white female connector. I think this can fool many diagnostics attempts when you see a good signal on the plug but its hard to know if the plug is making good contacts, even if the plug looks good, you have to test on the pump electronics. Now I found out that all the additive tanks I had before (I have changed the additive tank 2 times at this point) also work fine. Thank you for all help "GiveMeABreak" I really appreciate that you took the time to help out. And may this be a lesson to others! :D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, thanks for the update.

Marc