c5 cruise control retro fit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

c5 cruise control retro fit

Post by kevino »

Hi Guys, I've bought a c5 2.0 HDI VTR saloon. I love it but the only thing is I would really like cruise control? Is it an easy fit or are there a lot of money pits along the way?
I've been told it can be as simple as plugging in the control and turning it on? let me know your thoughts before i go charging in and make an arse of it.
I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my granddad, not screaming like his passengers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: c5 cruise control retro fit

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You will need the secondary Brake switch, (a clutch switch if not already fitted if manual gearbox), the Cruise Control / Speed Limiter control module to be attached to the Steering Wheel Control Module and it will need to be activated in the BSI by Diagbox. So not quite as simple as plug and go.

You haven't stated what year the C5 is MK I, II or III - better still a VIN would help.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kevino

Post by kevino »

oops sorry to mention it is a mark one
I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my granddad, not screaming like his passengers
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I did do a how to with pics & screenshots on here but cant for the life of me find it now ??
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have fitted a cruise control stalk to my C5 Mk1. You will have to have access to a Lexia (either your own, or there are forum members who can help) to let the car 'know' she has the stalk fitted. As has been said, you will also need to check the brake pedal to see what switch it has. There are two possible wiring configurations, and with the earlier configuration there are two switch options.

Wiring 1. There will be two pairs of wires, one pair will end in a white plug (which will be fitted to the white brake light switch), while the other will end in a red plug. This may (or may not) be connected to a red switch. This red switch is a push to break type, and will disengage the cruise control when the pedal is pressed. I believe that (should you require one) this switch can still be purchase.

Wiring 2. There will be four wires ending in a single plug. If you have this option you will have a dual switch (brake light/cruise control disconnect). Nothing further needs to be done re brakes.

Once you have determined the brake pedal switch situation you will need to buy the cruise control stalk (and, if like me, you are poor at accurate sawing) the lower steering wheel cowling (I got mine from a scrap yard for £15 for both parts). There are (if my memory is correct) a couple of Philips screws holding the lower cowling in place. Undo these, and drop the lower cowling away. You will see a cover over the relevant hole. Remove this cover, and then fit the cruise control stalk. Before fitting the replacement cowling it would be a good idea to activate and test the stalk, just in case.

Connect up the Lexia and go into the menu relating to the driver switch module. Somewhere in there will be mention of the cruise control stalk (and this will be set to "Absent"). Change this to "Present", and save the setting. Now you will need to test it. I cannot remember exactly how to do this, but you will be going into a driver switch menu, and then the cruise control. Press each of the CC buttons (and rotate the on/off switch) and check that the Lexia is 'seeing' each state. Assuming it all works you can fit the new cowling.

On the Mk1 C5 the cruise control will only work on 4th and 5th gear, and at speeds of 40MPH and higher.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

It's very simple if you pick up the 2 bits you need and have access to a LEXIA.
There are pics in my C5 profile thread (linked in my signature)
You might not need the second brake switch - later mk 1's apparently had them fitted anyway, so check your car first to be sure.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

wheeler wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 19:24 I did do a how to with pics & screenshots on here but cant for the life of me find it now ??

I have now restored the missing instructions, linked from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45175
kevino

Post by kevino »

Many thanks for all of the replies. I will need to gain access to the lexia from somewhere? And other bits including the stalk. Am I right in saying that the brake switch is in the passenger footwell? Where does the stalk plug in to? Cheers kev.
kevino

Post by kevino »

Just looked at the guide to fitting the cruise control, it answers questions asked in my last post. Cheers kev.
kevino

Post by kevino »

Just bought the stalk. Now need someone with the lexia near me in Blackpool to turn it on. Any one offering? Please.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Take a look at the list here

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

Then PM someone who is close to you. Be aware that some members on the list might not be active any more as people seldom let the forum know when they leave the hobby.

Before contacting anyone have you confirmed that you have the suitable brake switch(es)? Early Mk1 C5 were missing the suitable switch although the wiring will be present. Later cars either had the two switches or a combined single switch.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Don't think there is any reason that you wouldn't be able to configure the CC even if the parts were not fitted, once the parts were fitted it should just work if it was pre configured.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Yes but if it is the early type without the extra brake switch then not having it would delay the final outcome. I was just checking, that's all.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
kevino

Post by kevino »

I need to chuck my head under the glovebox and take a proper look. Ill let you know the outcome about the switch if its dual or needing a secondary.
kevino

Post by kevino »

Just thought it is a c5 2.0 hdi on an 04 plate, and a vtr. Dont know if that makes anything clearer?