XM/Xantia 3-litre de-gassing tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markysimon
My Cars: Citroen XM S2 3-litre hatchback

XM/Xantia 3-litre de-gassing tank

Post by markysimon »

Hi,
As a forum newbie I'm hoping someone here can help me. The de-gassing tank (part of the cooling system) that sits up to the right and behind the V6 engine on my S2
0006087_1307gf_300.jpeg
XM has sprung a leak and I'm having serious problems :( finding a replacement. The part number is 1307HJ and I gather it's also fitted to V6 Xantias – a pic is enclosed. Does anyone know where I might buy a NOS or good (i.e. pressure tested) s/hand item from a scrapper, anywhere in Europe? (BTW, I'm going to Paris in early Feb so could collect if relevant).

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers – Mark
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: XM/Xantia 3-litre de-gassing tank

Post by elma »

Just google coolant swirl pot, they come in alloy for between £40 and £150. I plan on upgrading the one on my Xantia and the header tank in the future but have not got around to measuring up yet so cannot offer you a link to one that will fit. My cars actually 300 miles away and we won't be reunited until the end of February so it's not been on my mind recently.

The plastic Citroen ones are quite hard to find and have a bit of a reputation for leaking so in my opinion it's more cost effective to spend a bit more on one that will last.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, you will be the luckiest man alive if you find one. I tried all over UK and the EU and finally robbed one off a donor car that had one fitted shortly before I got it for parts. I regard the find as very lucky.

There is a reason for it (micro bubbles) and there is a specific design internally.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I don't buy the specific internal design thing, I know it's whats generally accepted but it doesn't make sense. I think that was hype to stop people sourcing better ones. Racing cars usually have them fitted and they are howling at up to maybe 16k revs, they must make a lot more micro bubbles and they don't suffer if you change brand or type. There are even header tanks that have the swirl chamber built in, they look like a good option to me as well.
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

I think that part number is 1307GF (for Peugeot) which I think is still avaliable. Xantia has different angles where the pipes are connected to the tank (part nu. 1307HJ).

Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I know the degassing tank, in the UK at least, is now NFP - no longer available...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantos

Post by xantos »

You are correct Jim, NFP. But do you think it would be possible to fit degassing tank from Peugeot, which is still available, but has different connection angles...

Citroen

Peugeot

markysimon

Post by markysimon »

CitroJim wrote:As far as I know the degassing tank, in the UK at least, is now NFP - no longer available...
Thanks for all these useful responses – much appreciated. In no particular order then:

I managed to source a NOS Peugeot-numbered part from the ever helpful Malcolm at Savoy Garage (in Burnley) but not only do the lower two pipes emerge at different angles, but the top one is of a wider diameter and is shorter than the Citroen part. Making adapters to fit the hoses to these would be tricky and in the case of the latter, almost impossible due to its retaining lip. :( See encl. pic.
CX_degass.JPG
The idea of a metal tank appeals in principle, but surely finding one with pipes of the correct size that exit at the correct angles (or near) would be almost impossible. That said, has anyone successfully tried it? :roll:

I have emails outstanding to a couple of continental parts suppliers but this far no joy, so any ideas would be most welcome. :wink:

Cheers – Mark W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Before you butcher the rubber pipes, remember they are NFP as well.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
xantos

Post by xantos »

@markysimon: The black one is for Citroen, the white one is for Peugeot. So if you can get the black one that's the right one! I can check the diameters at home as I have one on the bench (and probably Stickyfinger has at least one stored somewhere :-D )
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have a duff one, I have not cut it open yet. The header tank was a very complicated design internally. There must be a reason for it being so.

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
markysimon

Post by markysimon »

xantos wrote:@markysimon: The black one is for Citroen, the white one is for Peugeot. So if you can get the black one that's the right one! I can check the diameters at home as I have one on the bench (and probably Stickyfinger has at least one stored somewhere :-D )
Thank you Xantos, but I can assure you that the (off!) white one is what was on the car when I bought it seven years ago! And the hoses fit it perfectly. Although the pic I posted of the black one is appended with the legend 'Cx' – suggesting that it's off the XM's predecessor – Malcom Orme assures me its a Peugeot item. :(

Cheers – Mark W
xantos

Post by xantos »

Then probably owner before you has already changed it. Peugot ones (the one you have) are still available as far as I know...
markysimon

Post by markysimon »

xantos wrote:Then probably owner before you has already changed it. Peugot ones (the one you have) are still available as far as I know...
Well that is mighty weird, because the 1307 HJ (Citroen) part no. shows a pic of the white tank on the websites that refer to it.
Curiouser and curiouser... :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroen ones have always been white to my knowledge and the differing pipe angles on the Peugeot one may mean it won't fit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...