C5 2.2HDi with a 56 number plate, boot lock fault solved

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

C5 2.2HDi with a 56 number plate, boot lock fault solved

Post by masood_ilyas »

I have recently replaced my mk2 Xantia with this newish Mk2 2.2Hdi 6speed autobox C5 model mid 2006, with only 40000 on the clock. After few months of use I now discovered the tailgate lock will not open despite pressing the switch. All you hear is the motor turning and timing out.
I had to fold down the rear seats to get at the lock and open it through the hole provided for emergencies. Has any one else come across this before and how expensive a lock is this likely to be. Can some one give me a part number for this electronic lock assembly please

I would like to change this lock but can not even figure out how to remove the trims,
is it just brute force and pull it off or are there any hidden screws and special sequence to follow.
I hope to find a suitable service manual on the fleabay. Would the BOL help for this job.
Any advice will be most appreciated

Masood
Last edited by masood_ilyas on 15 Apr 2013, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C5 2.2HDi with a 56 number plate, tailgate lock failure

Post by RichardW »

Masood - it is an estate or hatchback?
Richard W
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

It is a hatchback Richard.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Masood

There are 4 plastic pins in the bottom, 2 screws in the internal handles and 6 plastic pins across the top by the look of it. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the drawing from service.citroen.

The lock looks like a one piece unit, no connection rods or similar, and is not that bad really:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT
0000871986 TAILGATE LOCK 26.75 GBP 32.10 GBP

Might be possible to dismantle and see what's up with it?

One other thought - check in the handbook that it is not possible to diasble the central locking from the boot somehow - I recall you could do this on Xantia hatches......
Richard W
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.2HDi with a 56 number plate, boot lock fault solved

Post by masood_ilyas »

Thank you Richard for the part number and drawing showing location of pins securing the trim.

It was warm and sunny over the weekend allowing me to dig in a bit and investigate the fault.

After removing the trim and undoing the screws

Image. Image
I was able to slide the lock out from behind

Image.

remove arrowed screws to reveal the inner construction of the assembly

Image.Image

and the reason for the boot lock failure, a few missing teeth. I did carry some Belgian chocolate in the back, but I am sure they did not damage these teeths.

Image .Image

It is a shame I can not buy the 10p worth of plastic gear as the stealer will only sell complete unit at £32. Also a sad state of affairs with new cars, bits falling and breaking after only 5 years of motoring, compared with a Xantia standing on the driveway still going strong after 15Years, with all bits intact including the boot lock.

Thanks you all for your help.

Masood