Climate control fault...C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete-c5
My Cars:

Climate control fault...C5

Post by pete-c5 »

Hi Guys, have a bit of a problem with my C5 climate control. intermitantly (but getting worse) the passenger side blows hot air constant, temp set at 16 but still hot. When the car has been standing for a while, it will reset and work sort of fine (still warmer than the driver side).
l asume there is a valve some where that is sticking, if so, any ideas where it is ? how it work ? and how to repair it?
also a diagram would be very helpfull, if any one knows where there is one?

one thing l have noticed, is if it is blowing sort of warm air temp and you turn it to say 22 degrees, it goes hot but when you reset the temp to 16 degrees it says hot.

done to a turn....pete
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate
2008 C5 2lt hdi Tourer (estate)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

You will need to remove the glove box to access the motor, its the most difficult one to access on the extreme right and held in by 3 screws. Set the heat to high and then remove the motor, connect the new motor and then turn the heat to cold and back to high to make sure its working. Then put the motor back in place and test again, all in all about 1.5 hours work.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
pete-c5
My Cars:

Post by pete-c5 »

Now that has suprised me, not an electical fault that no one can ever find, Thanks for your help on this.
Just one question, (me being very thick and getting old) on the diagram it shows 2 motors,
one for the distribution flaps = 2
and one for mixing flaps = 3

am l correct in assuming its number 3 motor (mixing) that l want

regards pete
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Correct, its the mixing flap. If you look at the picture below you will see the 3 different motors available. Bottom right is the still working but useless motor that no longer binds with the mixing flap. Top middle is the Citroen revised part when they realised there was a problem. Bottom left is the cure if its too late for the brass geared motor. Note the extra long gearing on the part you need, its this that goes deeper into the heater box to mesh with the mixing flap.

09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The cure is actually to remove the resistance. This involves dismantling the heater box completely - which in many vehicles will require cracking of the airconditioning.

From my observations, I believe the motor drive fails because of excessive load; this is caused by the plastic flapper itself binding on the guts of the heater box.

The heater boxes seem to become slightly distorted with time and use; hence the problem worsens until failure occurs...
pete-c5
My Cars:

Post by pete-c5 »

Hi guys,

l just new this was not that simple, l have just removed the glove box (ouch) and found the heater (hey good so far) but then l find its different to the photos you have kindly supplied on here,
Now for another first, l have tried to make a photo of mine available on here by loading it up to flickr and this is the addy(link)

as you can see (or not as the case may be) there does seem to be 2 motors, which one would be the correct one to try ?

regards pete
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The one at bottom right in your photo, somehow :evil: the hard to reach one.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
pete-c5
My Cars:

Post by pete-c5 »

It just had to be didnt it, thanks for that, will go and have a play

regards Pete
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate
pete-c5
My Cars:

Re: Climate control fault...C5

Post by pete-c5 »

Hi Guys, well its taken a while to get this sorted, but after defending you guys at the garage, when l was told that these blokes on the internet dont know what there talking about, l really enjoyed yesterday when l took a new motor with extended drive to show them, oh l realy enjoyed that.

any way new motor now fitted and working, part no given was correct but the price was £88 inc vat.

Thanks again to all involved with this, and the same from the wife it was her side not working, but thanks again chaps

regards

Pete
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate