Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Electric vehicles-Conversions

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have been enjoying this thread started by Chris (White Exec) Moving on-finally with the discussion starting off with the recent decision of 4 major World cities to phase out diesel vehicles by 2025.

Maybe the time is also right to gather together a bit of an information/knowledge on electric vehicles focusing on conversions and what could be a developing second hand market which could offer big savings on depreciation of brand new vehicles but maybe without a decent support infrastructure for ongoing maintenance and problem solving.

So if you find any interesting conversions/secondhand example post them up.

Two examples from me to kick it off

What I would term a very interesting conversion by a North Carolina High School! This article has the detail.

Another one I have come across, which led to crop of ex-Glasgow Council converted Peugeot Partners and Experts by Allied coming onto the second-hand market is referred to in these two forums.

Battery Vehicle Society
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... f=3&t=3921
SpeakEV
https://speakev.com/threads/allied-e-ex ... ems.13883/

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Apr 2021, 14:39, edited 6 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: La Voiture/Utilitaire Electrique-Conversions/Secondhand

I think we'll try a more plain English title....I don't think I am at my sharpest trying to have breakfast with a laptop on my knee at 6.00am trying to write a coherent post :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars and vans-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Another Triumph for the collection, the electric herald by DragonEV featured in a Telegraph article from 2013

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/gre ... power.html

THE FACTS Dragon Electric Herald

Netgain 25kW continuously rated motor, capable of 300kW peak power (about 400bhp)
Top speed: 75mph
Maximum range: 50 miles (up to 150 miles with lithium-ion batteries)
Clutch: none – direct drive to propshaft
Gearbox: none – sufficient torque from electric motor. Reverse provided by changing polarity
Ignition: none – just an on/off switch, press the pedal and go
Power output: 60bhp (capable of upgrade to over 200bhp)
Torque: 150lb ft approx
Battery voltage: 72v
Battery capacity: 15kWh
Controller output: 600A maximum
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder why Triumphs were so popular for conversions?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:I wonder why Triumphs were so popular for conversions?
Could be that you can take the body off them and leave something like this as a basis to bolt the new motor and associated paraphernalia to :)

For me the end product is a desirable vehicle, the Spitfire more so than the Herald.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Dec 2016, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just to add in a touch of French Car, I have just read through the D.I.Y. conversion tale of a Citroen Visa ( all 13 pages and 18 months of problem solving along the way, but at the finish the job was done, and much valuable knowledge and experience gained.

This link doesnt work surrounded by the normal with the ..... format for some reason. cut and paste it and it does....(the bit from www to html the dots are just to stop a link being automatically created)

.....www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthrea ... 06866.html.....

The end product

The car is a Citroën Visa with following spec’s:
Motor: AC-31, regen (very much) enabled
Gearbox: original Citroën 4 speed (1st gear unused)
Coupler: Made by local machine shop
Adaptor plate: DIY mc’Guyvered (didn’t go well at first, but worked splendidly afterwards).
Controller: Curtis 1238-6501 (fitted on thick diy heatsink, air-cooled, connects to AC motor with 70 mm2 cable)
Battery: 16 KWh from Opel Ampera/Chevrolet Volt; 4*96V modules in parallel (180Ah) interconnected with 50mm2 cable.
DC-DC converter: 500W (replaced 350w, which didn’t give enough juice at peak loads)
Small 14Ah back-up lead-acid deep cycle battery for 12V systems in case of system failures
Charger: 3kW TC-charger from evassemble.com
BMS: the wild version (none)
SOC meter: SOC meter
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Still on the subject of Triumph Spitfire electric conversions there are at least 2 projects very well documented from start to finish on diyelectriccar.com.

Now wouldn't an electric Spitfire in Topaz Orange be a bit of fun for the summer :-D .

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My word, didn't realise there was all this electrical activity. I did a fair bit of engineering with diesel conversions - before I got hold of a CX but this is a completely different ball game.

I did as a kid fit a 6v dynamo used as a motor to my pram wheel trolley, powered by a motorbike battery, friction drive to one of the back wheels - but it wasn't all that successful.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Now that orange Spit is just a perfect treat Neil....

That Visa looks a very neat and well-engineered job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The underbonnet view of the electric installation of one of the Spitfire conversions-not unattractive...

especially when it lights up

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd like to see a converted gt6. Always fancied one, they just look right.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I do like the look of these classic conversions. Battery cost can be a bit eye-watering though.

Will be very interesting to see what happens when mainstream electric cars gradually come on to the used/secondhand market. I suspect depreciation will have been massive. Also wonder whether the manufacturers will "get the old stuff off the market" (by generous trade-ins) so that they don't have to support legacy vehicles, in a technically rapidly changing market, and simply to keep the customers coming.

Signs already of a buoyant DIY and enthusiasts' community. If I had a spare few thou, I could be tempted.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Signs already of a buoyant DIY and enthusiasts' community. If I had a spare few thou, I could be tempted.
Same here ;) An electric Xantia would be perfect for taking me to work and back on those days when I can't ride my bike...

You raise some interesting points Chris... It'll be indeed interesting to see what happens to say, Nissan Leaf values in a few years.

As a very committed environmentalist (says he driving a 1.9TD and Activa :roll: ) I just hope they really do have plans to reduce the world-wide environmental impact of battery manufacture to tolerable levels and also have a proper, functional battery recycling scheme in place... Otherwise disaster on a truly epic scale looms.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

elma wrote:I'd like to see a converted gt6. Always fancied one, they just look right.
There is at least one project on diyelectriccar converting a GT6 not quite finished yet :!: if you look at the last few posts.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... ht=Triumph

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I know its not French, but there are small companies popping up now that will convert your classic.

I follow this blog http://www.fullychargedshow.co.ukon Youtube by Robert Llewellyn, it has some very interesting stuff about zero emissions, not just cars either!!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi