blower problems some body must know!!

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

tgrfc

blower problems some body must know!!

Post by tgrfc »

Hi Everybody,

last resort!!
Today i have changed the blower motor on my car, checked all the fuses and i still have no blower at all.

This seems to have slowly died over the last 2 weeks, first it started working normally but over the last 2 weeks its has slowly died getting gradually slower and slower like it was running of a little battery, now i have nothing. if it is the ignition switch how easy is this to get to and change? i am a completly new to the electrics of this car.

Oh ye its a S plate 1.9td xantia opps sorry forgot that bit.

any ideas????

many thanks in advance John
Last edited by tgrfc on 25 Aug 2008, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hi, the ignition switch makes trouble only in Mk1 (before cca March 1998).
Karel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum John :D

Yep, that'll be the classic ignition switch problem as Karel says. You'll also likely find your heated rear window has stopped working too and testing the HRW is a useful aid to the diagnosis.

There is a modification to bypass the duff part of the ignition switch using a relay. It's easy enough to do.

Colin (Admiral51) did this mod recently and he posted a good article about it. Have a little search and all will be revealed :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tgrfc

Post by tgrfc »

Thanks for the welcome and very quick responses guys!

I think the HRW is still working but will try tomorrow to be sure.

If its any help this only seems to have started happening since the alternator belt snappd and i had it repaired 3 weeks ago. failing that i think the mod is the only way.

cheers
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi John
the mod itself is very straight forward to do but i cant seem to find the post i put up after i did it will try and look again tomorrow try searching for fan mod by RichardW there are pictures and diagrams plus lots of input from Cloggz et all

Colin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don’t find the Admiral’s thread, but here’s something like it:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23827

Mandrake’s thread:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21372

RichardW’s diagram:
http://www.geocities.com/tricky992002/fanmod.xls

Maps of before and after modification:

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Just check the 35a RELAY above the Throttle pedal under the dash...

Ive a HDI 110 Exclusive xantia here, which didn't have a blower...

So with ignition on, and blower on max, I removed the GREEN 35a relay, and then pushed it back in and HEY PRESTO the blower burst into life...

Switched it on/off a few times, ignition on/off a few times, and it carried on working.! A slightly easyer thing to try before going all into the ignition switch mod....

rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

This is the standard green type of relay? There's a good many under
there on my Xantiae, which one are you referring to? Did you just use
the same relay or swap it?

Andrew
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its the only green one DIRECTLY over the pedal Andrew, remove the small cover trim, and the relay is clipped in too! I just pulled it out and pushed it back in, so yes I used the same one...

It worked!

Rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mr Matthews

Post by Mr Matthews »

citroenxm wrote:Its the only green one DIRECTLY over the pedal Andrew, remove the small cover trim, and the relay is clipped in too! I just pulled it out and pushed it back in, so yes I used the same one...

It worked!

Rgds
Paul
I too have 3 relay points under my acc' pedal, same as andmcit, but only one socket has a green relay in it, the other 2 are empty (don't know what they are for!).... I pulled out the relay, it was in top condition ie(no blackening), I put it back and still no blower?
Life is hard.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mr Matthews wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Its the only green one DIRECTLY over the pedal Andrew, remove the small cover trim, and the relay is clipped in too! I just pulled it out and pushed it back in, so yes I used the same one...

It worked!

Rgds
Paul
I too have 3 relay points under my acc' pedal, same as andmcit, but only one socket has a green relay in it, the other 2 are empty (don't know what they are for!).... I pulled out the relay, it was in top condition ie(no blackening), I put it back and still no blower?
Work it in and out of the socket a few times, perhaps even clean the contacts with a bit of fine wire wool and some degreaser (Meths) to remove any corrosion or surface contamination.
Spray a drop of contact cleaner into the socket too..

It is also possible that the contacts are `frozen' - they weld themselves shut sometimes, particularly if overloaded.
Mr Matthews

Post by Mr Matthews »

Ok, I will try that tomorrow, by the way, could the fan relay be at fault also... if so, is it the purple one in the engine fuse compartment... also, while I'm on here, should I check the Bitron's and (where are they situated)?
Thanks
Life is hard.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Mr Matthews wrote:Ok, I will try that tomorrow, by the way, could the fan relay be at fault also... if so, is it the purple one in the engine fuse compartment... also, while I'm on here, should I check the Bitron's and (where are they situated)?
Thanks
I think that the green relay mentioned here is only applicable to Mk2 Xantia, so not your car.

When you mention fan relay do you mean the radiator fan relays? as they are the only fan relays on a Mk1 Xantia, but have no connection to the heater blower, or do you have a problem with the fadiator fans also?

I don't think that the bitron can stop the heater blower from working, as it controls the radiator fans.

Have you actually measured the voltages at the ignition switch or the blower motor?
Mr Matthews

Post by Mr Matthews »

xantia_v6 wrote:I think that the green relay mentioned here is only applicable to Mk2 Xantia, so not your car.
So what other purpose is the green relay under the pedal for, I have 3 green sockets of which one has a green relay!, I'm just curious as to what they are for?
xantia_v6 wrote:When you mention fan relay do you mean the radiator fan relays? as they are the only fan relays on a Mk1 Xantia, but have no connection to the heater blower, or do you have a problem with the fadiator fans also?
No, no problem with the rad', you have answered my question and I now understand ( I thought Citroen had several relays that were connected to the heater/blower :P )
xantia_v6 wrote:I don't think that the bitron can stop the heater blower from working, as it controls the radiator fans.
Short and to the point :)
xantia_v6 wrote:Have you actually measured the voltages at the ignition switch or the blower motor?
Not with a volt tester or anything, but as none of the connections looked disturbed or blackened, I just dismissed that notion.
Life is hard.